Saturday, November 13, 2010

Calgon...Take Me Away!

This is as close as my life gets to Calgon!
Last night was okay at work but working a double just wears me out. You get almost no time between shifts...well you do but when you live my life your break consists of leaving work, zooming to the high school to take your daughter dinner before she leaves on the bus to a football game, screaming by the house to feed and water the dogs, check your email and brush your teeth.

I had to pick her up at the school after work and as usual I stayed up late blogging.

I made the executive decision to sleep in late. I woke up around 11:30 but didn't let my feet touch the floor until I had to get ready for work at 2:00.

It's a good thing I took the first part of the day to relax. I walked in the door at work around 4PM and ate some food I had brought from home. Then the bottom fell out of the world.

I was so busy that I didn't even have time to pick on other servers (one of my favorite things to do.)

I had a couple of tables going when I got seated with a nine top. After they left I got seated with a five top, then a four top then an eight top and then another four top...BAM BAM BAM.

Barbara doesn't play when there are people to be seated and doesn't mind throwing you to the wolves one bit. She just wants to be sure the wolves have a seat and a great experience and meal.

Somehow I made it through. Somehow my PHD in BS paid off. Somehow I didn't lose my mind (what's left of it.)

I made more money tonight than I ever have in a five hour period. I worked my butt off for it but now know that I can do it. I finally have the HUGE menu down and have gotten pretty knowledgeable about the wines. I can sell instead of take orders. I can suggest and recommend where I used to fake it totally.

It has taken me six months to learn enough about Italian food and wine to start to make the difference between  being an order taker and being a good server and salesman.

The Holidays have finally hit our restaurant and I am ready! I am ready to make up for a crappy year and look forward to making up some serious ground.

I have already made a few new regulars and have even had some regulars from my old restaurant start coming in to see me.

Before you know it I will be able to actually have maybe not my head but at least my nostrils above water.

What a wonderful feeling this is!

What is more wonderful is that I am doing it in a place that seems to love me, appreciate me and a place that is not  corporate owned. It is family owned and they play by their own family rules. Do a good job, do what they ask...make the people happy and in return YOU feel happy.

It will be a slim Christmas again at our house...WHO CARES? My kids are old enough to know "There ain't no Santa."

I have landed in a place that has given me the chance to make EVERY DAY Christmas!

Slipping into a tub with bubbles...not Calgon, not even Mr. Bubbles. Just me putting my toe into the spigot and pouring shampoo into the tub. It is still a bubble bath.

Before you know it I will be able to buy me some Mr. Bubble. Before you know it I will be able to buy me some Calgon. Before you know it I won't feel like "Take me away." I will feel like "Bring it on."

If business keeps up like this...maybe there WILL be a Santa!

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: