Friday, November 12, 2010

Drama Mama (Could be Worse)


So tonight was the last football game. I hate that we lost...I am relieved that the season is over. At least we made the playoffs. Many schools have a losing season from the get go and are depressed from the jump. We went 7 and 0 before having a loss. Not too shabby from what I remember from MY high school days.

Of course Massey was bummed but I could also tell she was almost as relieved as I was. I have often asked myself "Is she a member of the Guard team or the Drama team?"

When you have 30 teens  together...all female except for two males, the drama never stops but often escalates. They are a terrific bunch of kids, but they ARE kids.

 Kids under a tremendous amount of pressure and kids that all have a monthly cycle (save two.)

 Sometimes it is a Jerry Springer show. Sometimes it is one of Oprah's most heart touching shows. But it is ALWAYS a show...and in the Guard World "The show MUST go on."

Tonight was the end of THIS season.

As I rub my hands furiously and quizzically across my face in a fashion that says "God help me" Winter Guard is right around the corner.

Massey has decided to do one more season...I guess they got picked up by "Real TV" or maybe there is a new network "Guard Gone Wild" that I haven't heard of yet.

I write this in half  jest mode. I love that she is a part of something that keeps her motivated. I love that she is involved with her school and with a great group of kids. I hate that my life is at a point where I feel like I am constantly scrambling to just be a part of her world.

Granted I think I made my mark in the "Funnel Cake World" and that may be my legacy even after she graduates.

This season is over...this season is DONE.

Now comes the Winter Guard and a whole new season of me scrambling and screaming to the school or  competitions at the last possible minute. Arranging rides for her when I can't be there or worrying about if I sent in money for her meals at the competition.

 I try to remind myself that over a year ago we were making six figures a year. For years and years I was a room Mom , attended every event and donated at the drop of a hat. I was  Mrs. Cleaver,  Mrs. Brady...heck I was even Aunt Bee.

So what...now I feel like Eddie Haskell's mom. Nobody ever said his Mom was bad, but who ever saw her?

At least they KNOW me at the school. (guess my hair do pays off)  I think they know I try to be involved when I can, and those parents that are in the place we USED to be have been fantastic to us and have my deepest and most sincere gratitude.

My girl has it tough....she has a wacky Mom. She is old enough to know what is going on in our house and has the fortitude to go out for the Guard, know that she is blessed and know that she has to give it her all.

This time next year, I swear that I will be back on top. My kids will have learned a valuable lesson and I will have something to laugh about in the old folks home years from now when they visit me in my first floor room (they are easier to escape from.)

Life is good if you are breathing... everything else is a bonus.

Til next time...COTTON

1 comment:

Walter said...

The fact that I started for Russell at Guard, and sometimes on defense shows there wasn't a huge talent pool to draw from.
If it wasn't for Cooksey, Ronnie West, Stegall, Jerry Stewart, and a few other talented players we would never have won a game.
But we had a helluva time!