Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Going to My 'Mom'ister's For Thanksgiving

My sister...there are at least a thousand things that come to mind when I think of her and all of them are good.
Maybe when she was "Tween" she was mean to me but I always idolized her so that even her meanness felt like a blessing to me. Hey! At least she noticed me.
So WHAT she was mean to me when she was in high school ? She always had boyfriends that were crazy about her and figured being nice to me was an easy in. I think I came out on the better end of things. I had hot teen age guys taking little goofy me to fairs and Disney movies just so they could try to get to first base with my hot sister. I don't mean "HOT" like she was the school tramp..I mean "HOT" like she was, and still is a fabulous person inside and out. I have never met any one who doesn't like her or any one who wouldn't love to call her a friend.
After she graduated high school and went to Georgia Southern the roles changed. I was no longer a pest but a little sis that she invited down often to hang with her and her sorority sisters.
I probably remember more of her sorority sisters and the stories about them than she does. Her looks have held out beautifully and she is still a doll but her memory is crap. I can remember phone numbers of our childhood friend's parents house..what kind of tile they had in their kitchen and what their dog's name was.
Cindy always tries, but sits close to me at funerals and weddings so that I can whisper in her ear who is approaching us and how we know them.
If that is the worst thing I have to say about her...it speaks volumes for her personality and character. Not to mention her ethics , ideals and values.
I have been dealt a few bad hands in the game of life.
I watched my mother die in front of me unexpectedly at the age of 17. My sister was by my side.
I watched my father die unexpectedly from West Nile in the matter of ten days. My sister was by my side.
Our brother has been right along beside us and turned into the father we once had. He is a crusty and funny person...much funnier than me (I hate to admit that) but has taken on his role as our surrogate father with much admiration from me and my sis.
Thank the Lord he never had kids...they would have just kept him from focusing on keeping me and my sister afloat in life.
MY FAMILY...MY FAMILY.
Without my brother and my sister I would be a lost soul.
With them I am a blessed soul.
This Thanksgiving I am going to spend the day with both of them. My brother is most likely thinking "Thank God I only have to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with them."
My sister and I are thinking "Thank God that he has the moral values of our parents and feels compelled to spend two days a year with us and pretty much pay for everything."
My kids and my sister's kids are trying to send us to an early grave. As my brother pointed out, "Our family seems to take the express check out."
Thanks to our brother... he has bumped us back to the main check out line many times.
I really think that he knows how much we love him....and we do, TREMENDOUSLY.
I love my sister so much that it hurts, but she makes it easy.
I have a best friend in my sister and a brother that makes sure both of us girls are okay.
How much more could you want from a family?
Yes, I am blessed and I get to spend the day with both of these siblings that are in essence "MY FAMILY" and I am one of the luckiest people in the world.

2 comments:

Walter said...

You're absolutely right. Those two are two of East Point's best ever produced....proud to say I know them both. Have a Great Thanksgiving!

Joannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.