Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Weight Under My Wings Has Become Immense

I called my Republican best friend tonight to tell her that I was almost on the verge of changing party affiliations because I don't really know if I can take many more people under my "Left" wing.

It started at 7AM this morning, my daughter was on the phone with her science partner for a "plant" project they were doing. Her mother's car had been stolen overnight, and she didn't know how she would get to school.

They had to plant two plants at the same time , chart and monitor their growth.

After I got off of work, I drove to WalMart and bought two clay pots, potting soil and a Hyacinth bulb that is to be planted in the early fall.

On the way to the girl's house, Massey told me that her Mom had learned what had happened to her car.


She told me that in the middle of the night, the dealership had come and taken her mother's car.

I couldn't bring myself to tell Massey that it was a repossession.

When I pulled into the driveway, I immediately knew that this was a family that was doing much worse than my own. My daughter told me that her dad has never been in the picture...Thus, a single mom with three kids, trying to scratch out a living and provide her kids with a roof over their heads.

I casually introduced myself and said that I was always off on Mondays, and if it was okay with her , I would come over and bring her daughter to my house to chart the growth of their project and bring her back home.

She was extremely grateful for the gesture, and said that unfortunately her cell phone was dead because her charger was in her car...that had been taken.

I told her..."No problem".

I will pick up and deliver her daughter back home once a week, and hopefully the project will be a success.

And I thought that MY family was in need?

How ridiculous does that seem to me now?

This woman, trying to survive alone with her kids is struggling more than I could ever imagine having or wanting to do.

I told my daughter on the way home...

"You be a good friend to this girl".

But my daughter... "My little upcoming Democrat in a pretty package" ...said that everyone at school makes fun of this girl because she doesn't wear cool clothes and is a little chunky; commented that she liked this girl and wanted to be her friend.

I will try to help this family as much as I can without possibly being noticed (and I am pretty good at that).

With the help of friends ...right wing and left... we will help this family and make them feel like it is just a GOD send...not charity or pity.

It makes me realize how extremely lucky and blessed that my family is...and only makes me want to help others more.

My daughter has another friend who's mother has Leukemia and a terminal heart condition, and is on so may meds that I know her family of six is holding on by a string. Talking to her is an ordeal that I endure...but her endurance is much, much greater, and a fate that I wouldn't wish on my greatest enemy.

But I talk to her, listen to her and bring her daughter over to my house for a breath of fresh air and a feeling of normalcy.

Her mother doesn't WANT to be sick...but is trying to make it another day, another week, another month.

It makes me realize how TRULY lucky we have been in the "Grand Scheme" of things.

My husband DID lose his job..

But at least I HAVE a husband.

I do not have terminal Cancer.

It makes me realize that I am SO extremely lucky, so blessed that I need to get down on my knees and thank GOD that he has blessed me with good health and the ability to help the other people that I can... in ANY kind of way or capacity.

It is not my burden ; but my destiny and privilege. To be able to help others less fortunate than me... and that some people gain from my tiny offering of help...my caring, my sincere offer of not only ... friendship, but a concern for their well being and ANYTHING else that they can possibly think of.

I WILL BE THERE... I WILL DO WHAT YOU WANT OR NEED.... JUST LET ME KNOW

No comments: