Friday, October 3, 2008

Racism...It Totally Sickens me

As we plow through this election and I hear all the screams from terrified, nervous whites...it amazes me that we have come so far to learn so little.

My first memory of racial bias came at the age of about six.

My mother shopped at the local A&P. A grocery store that everyone in the town of East Point shopped at. Located next door to the Methodist church and across the street from Zesto's....that great fast food store that I think still remains (along with the Methodist Church) in a town that is on the cusp of Atlanta...a mere fifteen minutes from downtown...yet far enough away to have a small town feel.

My mother grocery shopped every Thursday. She bought all of the groceries that would feed our family of five for a week, wrote the check for $25 over to have spending money and I can vividly remember that her check was usually for $65.

Does that show my age or WHAT?

There was a "bag boy".

He was to my best recollection (and I just conferred with my sister on the phone) in his early fifties. Although this man was a bag boy...he was a beloved man by most all of the people that shopped there. He was always peppy, upbeat and eager to please. My mother may have given him a quarter when he stowed our groceries away in our trunk, but the next week he was smiling when he saw us and always more than happy to help us to our car.

On one of our weekly visits...Walt was putting our groceries away in our car. He slammed our trunk shut...then noticed a Pontiac Firebird parked next to our car with the windows down.

It was a nice summer day, and he whistled aloud at the car. He leaned in the driver's window and tooted the horn. TOOT TOOT!!

A white man emerging from the store, said ...to the best of my recollection..."Nigger, get away from my car"!!

Walt stumbled back, apologized...got rebuffed, seemed ashamed and for the first time in my young life I experienced some one's humiliation and embarrassment for being a different color.

My mother was embarrassed, and I was taught an early lesson.

This affable, friendly and generous man was being targeted because the color of his skin was different.

He was treated as if he were a criminal, he was treated as if his feelings didn't matter.

If this racist didn't want his horn to be "tooted" by someone on a beautiful summer day...DON'T leave both the windows down.

I wonder if I had leaned over and "tooted" his horn...would he have called me out just the same?

I can say almost for certain that he would have not.

At the tender age of six...

I think that I became a Democrat.

I became a person that cares about humanity, I care about the minorities, I care about taking care of other people and I care about the world that I will leave behind for my grand kids.

Big business will always take care of their own.

Some people will try to sponge off of the government and get something for nothing.

My party will try to take care of everyone, and may fail in some of their attempts, or make some mistakes.

But we will always try to improve not only the economy, but the world and environment that we live in...and the way that we that we use the planet and explore options and opportunities that make us freer to live a longer time on this planet with a lot less repercussions and have a lot more benefits.

As I look at the Nation, as I look at the world... Doesn't the Democratic view seem much more realistic?

Take a good look at your life, take a look at the current condition of the economy.

Could we do THAT much worse with a "DEM" in the White House?

I say, Let's give it a shot....What more do we have to lose?

Blacks, Whites, Asians, Hispanics.... We are a melting pot.

Let's not let racial bias keep us from recovering and growing. That is EXACTLY what America is all about.

I think that my old friend "Walt" from the A&P would be happy with what is happening in America today.

It is time that the REAL people take over...and that the caring and concern come back to the forefront.

Stand Up!!! America...Go to the Polls!!!!!



P.S. Webster's defines racism as :

"The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others".

We are all AMERICANS... wake up and smell the roses...KNOW what you need to do and do NOT be scared of making the RIGHT choice . I know that I am NOT!!!

2 comments:

Joannah said...

What a beautiful post from your big beautiful heart. I think we are all so lucky that you share your thoughts with all of us. I know I will think about this today.

Auto'Blog'raphy of a Waitress & Mom said...

"JO" You are always my defender, supporter and most avid reader. What would I do without friends like you? I have a feeling that you may be one of the subjects of my next post. Let me know if you do not want that and I will not pursue it. Waiting to hear back before I start pecking at the keys..your friend..."The Waitress Formerly Known As"