Sunday, March 2, 2008

My latest Victim

We have a new server at work that has unfortunately become the latest victim of my witty comments, jokes and sarcasm. He had never been a server before working for us, but has adapted with great ease. He is a math major ( Don't ya just hate a brainy twenty one year old?) He tried really hard when I trained him, and picked it all up with amazing speed. He is cute as a button, the girls just love him, the managers like his hard work and he is a great new addition (no pun intended) to our bizarre, eclectic group of worker bees. HEY!! Maybe I can be the Queen Bee!!! Although I already act like it, and all the workers just seem to fall in line, buzzing around me, constantly trying to avoid my stinger of a sharp, acidic tongue. But as I told my latest victim... " If I don't pick on you, it's because I don't like you." So obviously I like my latest victim a lot. He is one year younger than my oldest son, so he's a kid to me....granted a bright kid, but nonetheless a kid. Of course he is also a man.. and we all know how their thought process occurs... randomly and sporadically. We were out of butter trays at work; we keep four trays of parred up butter balls for the bread that we serve (Christian Crack) . So my latest victim goes to the back, bringing up one tray of butter... HEY at least we will be alright with butter for five minutes! My co-conspirators... I mean co- workers, were all over him.. "Why'd ya bring just ONE tray of butter?" Thus all the other jokes just fell in line. I went to the back to get two huge buckets of ice to refill the ice bin, but when I saw my victim, I sat the buckets down, picked up one single ice cube, and said "ice coming down", which is what we say when we are coming through the alley with a load of ice. Of course he got the joke ( not happily) and tried to banter back when he was doing his closing work of restocking the coffee spoons. He had one spoon in his hand, and asked if I would sign off his work. Of course he hasn't fully realized how quick I am with a come back... "NO, you have to restock SPOONS, not spoon, so go back and get one more!" He takes my verbal abuse with the grace and diplomacy that it is rendered... not trying to be mean; just trying to make things lighter, funnier and easier to take. I hope he stays around, because I have had more fun with him working at our store, than I have had in a long long time. Of course he is not a "Lifer" like me, but he is a pleasant presence in our store... an easy target, and a wonderfully accepting victim of our constant harassment. Of course working in a restaurant of 90% females, I fall back to my old line of "harass" is two words in our restaurant!

No comments: