Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"Hoke" and "Miz Daisy"

When at my restaurant...there is a couple that come in at least twice a week.

A young African American, guiding his eighty something year old charge. An elderly white woman, who always looks as sharp as a tack...shuffling one foot after another, taking forever to get to her table. She takes an eternity to just get to the women's room and another eternity to get out. The nurse stands by the door patiently, and we have started to joke with him about hanging outside of the restroom door trying to pick up women.

Last week, I stopped to talk with him. I told him how I admired how he treated this woman. He is so respectful and thoughtful with her. He never rolls his eyes or gets agitated with her slow walk or demeanor.

I remarked to him the other day, that when they walk in, I say "Here comes Hoke with Miss Daisy".

He said that he has heard it all.

He said that he has been with this woman for ten years, moved down here from the north with her. Her husband had died, leaving her with a 300 acre Arabian horse farm out on Smoky Road. (An exclusive...still rural area that I would LOVE to live in).

It just strikes a cord in my heart that she is left with nothing now but money and an African American nurse that seems to genuinely and compassionately care for this tottering, feeble and fragile person.

The horses and farmland are gone, she has moved into a condo with her "Hoke".

She acknowledges my comments to her, but it is obvious that she is in her last years.

I wonder if she even knows or grasps what gracious and capable hands she has been lucky enough to fall into?

He never seems to waver in his devotion or care of this woman. He never acts exhausted by his role or short in his temper with her slowness or lack of awareness.

She , in my mind is as lucky as "Miss Daisy" was in the movie. This man genuinely cares about this woman, doesn't care if she realizes his compassion or attentiveness, but just does his job.

He treats this woman like royalty, gives her the respect that I am sure she deserves and is giving her the quality of life that she has earned...right up to the end!

I do not know who I admire more...HIM or HER?

I just know that it makes me smile to see them walk through our doors, see that "Miss DAISY" is still with us, and has this awesome companion to not only take care of her , but to make her waning days as important and meaningful as all the other years that have come her way.

If I am as lucky as our "Miss Daisy"... I will truly be a blessed person.

"GODSPEED" Miss Daisy...and thank you "HOKE".

No comments: