Sunday, February 10, 2019

And It Just Keeps Getting Better




After almost two and a half years at my new job, I've finally got it down pat.

It's true what they say about teaching an old dog new tricks...
It ain't easy.


I think (know) it would be easier if I didn't care so much about what kind of job I do when I'm clocked in...but I do.

I hit the clock and immediately go to work, and continue to work until I clock back out.

I learned decades ago, if you do your job right the first time, you don't have to do it over.

True fact.


About six months ago, they started scheduling me for dayshifts one or two times a week. It worked out great with Tim beginning to work more and more out of town during the week. Massey works until after ten o'clock and someone needs to be here for our blind pup, who doesn't like to be left outside in the yard for more than a few minutes.


I never request a specific schedule, I just work whatever shifts they give me. The only requests I make are when I ask for time off for visiting friends and family. Other than that I have full availability...but certainly enjoyed day shifts. The money wasn't as good but has really been picking up with all the new construction going on in the immediate area. They are opening a town center in front of our restaurant with a hundred different retail shops, restaurants, movie theatres and bowling alley. Also under construction next to us is a convention center with a man made lagoon and beach in front. Across the road from us is a totally solar powered water park already under construction. On the other side of our place is Boxi Park, opening on Valentine's Day. All storefronts (restaurants, boutiques, bars) are refurbished shipping containers. It will include a dog park, beach volleyball and also have live music venues.

Needless to say, it's gonna be more than a popping area. Already open by us, is the USTA national campus with over a hundred tennis courts and Drive Shack, a Top Golf type venue run by the PGA.

Every single week foot traffic increases and so does business.

The past few weeks I have been blessed with more and more day shifts... and I don't take it for granted.

I make sure every single thing is done before I clock out and leave the night shift set up for a successful shift.

Bonus points, I'm usually a closer, which means it's up to me to make sure the other AM servers do their fair share before they leave. 

I never assign all the work to others so I don't have to do any, but instead say "This is what needs to be done, so lets all get started on it together, and all get done together."




So work ethic and dedication have once again paid off for me. My latest schedule came out yesterday and am working Monday through Friday, all day shifts. Couldn't have happened at a better time. Tim leaves for Virginia in the morning and won't be back until Friday night.


It's true.

What comes around goes around.



I'm a crazy one, but I like it that way.


I prefer to think I am also a pretty decent person. Not the best, far from it... but feel like I am at least a positive addition to society.

And seems to have paid off.




We've moved into a perfect forever home, both of us are knocking our jobs out of the park and life is falling into place after almost ten years.



 Never ask for help, unless you are willing to  help others.

This world is turning...and spinning the truth.






Find your groove in life.


Til next time...COTTON


















No comments: