Friday, February 15, 2019

Getting Used To Country Life


We've always lived in suburban  subdivision, with gas stations and stores less than five minutes away.



Now the closest store or gas station is fifteen minutes away. Convenient enough but far away enough to keep the hustle and bustle at bay.


The past few days I've gotten home from work around four and before ever even going inside the house, I walked inside the gate into the yards and simply sat in a lounge chair, taking in the quiet, spectacular beauty of the nature preserve where we were lucky enough to purchase our forever home. Hawks soar overhead, floating on the breeze and on lucky days you catch a bald eagle circling above. Even Ziggy has gotten used to the sand hill cranes strolling slowly down the street in front of our house.











Who wants to go inside immediately after getting home when you can sit a spell in these yards?
Especially on a sunny, warm and balmy day...in early February.

Granted, some peeps don't enjoy yard work (or having to pay someone to do it)  so this wouldn't be the ideal place for them.


For this girl...
it's a dream come true.

When we lived in Newnan (above) our yards were always immaculate...front and back.



My nephew one time commented to my sister, "Aunt Kelly's front yard looks like a putting green."



Yes, and Thank you !

Four hours spent in a yard can make turning in your driveway every day a delight.

I don't care how hot it is. I can always go inside for a break and hydration. 

It's just my thing.


Massey took this pic of me headed to my parents gravesite to clean up a bit, years ago when we lived in Georgia.

The last things left of mine in Georgia, besides the house itself are my yard tools, chain saw and my Johnny Dear.

I guess I'll borrow my brothers' truck one weekend and travel up to bring it all down here in one load.

Yes, I'm the crazy one who loves, loves, loves yard work.

Back in Georgia I used to cut the yards of people who moved out and had their houses up for sale in the neighborhood. One house sat vacant for almost an entire year and I cut it twice a month every summer.

I can't tell you how excited I was to discover bananas growing at the top of one of the many banana trees in our yard.



Don't ask me what the alien looking thing dropping down from the bunch of bananas is, but assume it was a pod or seed at some point.

I also have azaleas in abundance, still in bloom since we moved in the first week of December. There are birds of paradise blooming, wisteria, camelias and plants I've never even seen before.



Everyone is super friendly, and neighborly. Several people have stopped by when walking their dog to introduce themeselves and one woman even  wandered the property with me, pointing out more fascinating plants or features.

We went to an HOA chili cookoff around the middle of January so we could join the (voluntary) HOA at the gated Isle of Pines park, on the lake across the street from our house. They have a huge pavilion, restrooms, catwalk, dock, basketball court and boat ramp. For ten bucks a year you get a key to the park and can go there any time. Every Friday night around sunset, residents pack a cooler and enjoy watching the sunset over the lake together, with an adult beverage or whatever they want to bring.


While there, we met the man who did all the tile work in our house and several others who knew the woman who lived here before us.

More than a few of them said they had been to a party at our house, more than once.




If only this fire pit in our back yard could talk.





Or this porch.




Or this Tiki bar.


We've already added the the go ahead lights.






The house was built when I was seven years old.
In other words, solidly built.

It's no mansion, far from it.


It's simply "Us".




There's room for all of us and room for visitors.

One of the (many) things I love about this house, is that every single window has a spectacular view.
How lucky is that?

You don't see other houses , we only have one slim view of the top of the house next door when you pull in the driveway. We can hear one family behind us when they have company over on weekends and from their musical selections think we'll end up being friends as well.





It was a tough decade.
Not gonna lie.






I've never needed or wanted a mansion.

I've wanted a home that suits me.

Guess who got that home?!






Til next time...
COTTON


No comments: