Thursday, March 22, 2012

Recipe Time...

Had a long day but I love me some Tuesday through Thursday. I am off on Tuesday, only work a PM shift on Wednesday and a day shift on Thursday. Then the weekend starts on Friday morning..."ARRGHH." Seven shifts packed into four days on top of being an ole woman and still having teens at home is conducive to absolutely no rest for the obviously weary.... I looked younger than the above photo when I woke up yesterday.

Got all my yard work, the front of the subdivision (and my neighbor Mr. Slow-Lee's) done in anticipation of the forecasted monsoon and even managed to cook dinner tonight. Granted it wasn't ready til almost nine PM but at least I cooked.
 Had several readers wanting some recipes that I have so before I clock out for the night thought I would post them.

Asparagus Casserole: 1 pound cooked fresh asparagus or a 15oz. can (I use the canned...drained)
One teaspoon of white pepper
One two ounce jar of pimientos , drained.
Two eggs beaten.
One cup of Ritz crackers crumbled.
One cup of milk.
One cup of grated Mild Cheddar Cheese.
1/4 cup of butter melted.

Mix all ingredients (I do it in the dish I bake it in) 8"X 8" or close to it and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Absolutely yummy and is almost like a quiche!

Next is my Momma's BBQ sauce from the cookbook she got when she married my Diddy so many moons ago.

Hint...I never measure and always over pour ingredients. Letting it simmer for a hour makes it even better! This cook book is so old they even have a recipe for Mayonnaise!
I always double the recipe.

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon celery seed ( I usually chop off leaves from the top of fresh celery stalks)
1/4 cup of brown sugar (I add at least half a cup)
1/4 cup of vinegar
1/4 cup of Worcestershire
1 cup of  ketchup (I use more)
2 cups water
Few drops of Tabasco.
I add minced garlic,   minced onion and molasses.
Simmer for at LEAST an hour.

Getting so hungry I'm going to make me a sammich and some sides.

BTW the potato salad is red potatoes boiled. Add mayonnaise, chopped celery, bacon bits and lots of cracked black pepper. Cook the taters in really well salted water!

I think I just gained four pounds!

Til next  time...COTTON

No comments: