Sunday, April 20, 2008

Work is WORK and Kids will be KIDS

It is a hard world that we live in..especially mine. I am on the verge of being half a century old...working with kids that are sometimes not even a quarter of a century old. My job is my career. It is something that I have worked at for the past thirty years since getting out of college. To me it is my life blood, my food on the table and the way that I am able to help raise my family. I don't live at home with my parents, don't only have to make enough money to pay fines or party... I am in this business to make money, earn respect from my peers and do the best job that I can do on a daily basis. I am confronted on an almost daily basis with kids that are just at work to have fun, make a little money and could care less about the "BIG" picture. When the "kids" don't take it seriously, or make fun of me for being conscientious... it bugs me BEYOND belief. If this is just a game to them, they need to take it somewhere else. I work six days a week, sometimes seven..come in and give the exact same performance every time I walk through the doors. When I get upset, it is generally for a good reason... but often "Poo-Poo'd" by my younger co workers. I do not care what they do in their off time, but I care about the reflection that their mistakes make on my own performance and my consideration of what a good work ethic is. Call me a bitch, call me a granny.. but DO NOT MESS WITH ME!! They can be "CUTE" all they want, or suck up to the management all they want, but when they are working with me, I expect nothing more than I expect or give of myself as a server, and expect the same from them if they are on the clock and being paid the same rate that I am. We have MANY ,MANY good young people at our store...and some that are just there to make a dime. If you are unfortunate enough to be working with me, I expect NOTHING but professionalism and hard work. I do not want their little "comments" or sarcasms, I have children older than them and if they were as slack as them, I would either have them in re-hab or kick them out of the house altogether. I guess that I may sound bitter, but I do NOT take my job lightly or for granted. I feel that I do a great job for my company every time I walk through the door... Should I not expect the same from my other co workers? Life is tough..incredibly tough... but the sooner you learn what life is made of, the sooner you can make something of not only yourself, but the people that are in your life and the entire scheme of things. There are several of these type of people that I work with, and sometimes I just want to shake them into submission and tell them how much of life they are missing by not standing up to the challenge of being an adult, being responsible and held accountable for not only their actions but for their productivity and their contribution as an adult an employee and as a person of significance in the workplace. When they are standing in my shoes, thirty years down the road, I hope that they are lucky enough to know the difference between a good employee and a dedicated one. They may hate me today.... but I will still be here tomorrow..and be working as hard as anyone around me, and grateful that I have my job and the security that it brings me, my husband and my children . Life is fast and furious, there is no time to take ONE second for granted...TRUST ME...I KNOW!!! Till next time..a vented and relieved COTTON

No comments: