Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Thirty Year Grudge

I am a member of a website that is for finding old classmates and reconnecting. I have several different schools on mine. I have my college, my elementary school, my husband's high school and the high school that my college room mate went to (my sister also taught at that high school) as well as my own high school. It is fun to start discussions and see how far they get. My most popular post has had over 1400 views and over 67 postings. As anyone who reads this knows...I LOVE to write. Since I have started this blog I have kind of ignored my high school site. A friend of mine sent me a text on my phone last night telling me to read the high school website. I came home from work to find a "diatribe" written about me by a girl that I barely knew in school. It read like a manifesto that was written by the uni-bomber. It began "Not that I am bitter..." and got more intensely bitter with each line...and there were about a THOUSAND lines of the most bizarre comments I have ever read. She dogged me because I was "just" a waitress, and that she made over $400,000 a year. She dogged me for not responding to an email that she had sent me in early 2007. She said that I was mean to her, and was ignoring her extension of the olive branch of her email...more like a beating stick! I remember her well, and she was an odd duck. But to harbor these feelings for thirty years is not only disturbing, but sad. As her rant went on page after page after page... I was absolutely astounded that I had obviously wounded her beyond repair. She lambasted me not only for high school, but for writing so many posts on the website and not returning her email. You know...high school is a tough place (even in the late seventies). I am hoping that she takes some of her $400K and gets some therapy. She informed me that one of her great achievements was being the president of Charlie Sheen's fan club. NOT helpin her cause with me!! I tried to apologize to her, but by that time, several people had responded to her post about me... Let's see.. the first post was entitled "DAMN".. It read..."Looks like someone needs to get back on their medication." After that post, she retorted with yet another long winded roasting of me and my ignoring to respond to her email (I will NEVER forget to respond to an email again...even if it is to say "leave me alone"!!) The more my friends and former class mates took up for me, the more rambling posts she made.... It was almost amazing in a spooky kind of way. Hang on a minute while I go out side to make sure she isn't out in a tree in my neighbor's yard with a sniper rifle..........WHEW!!! The coast is clear for now!! You know, when you are a 15 year old kid, how can you see that 35 years down the road, you can still have an effect on a person that you haven't seen in over thirty years? She kept posting and posting and posting..."STOP IT"!!! I wanted to say, but I was trying to placate her with apologies and kudos for her $400K job that she had "shown me up with." Even that wasn't good enough. FINALLY I made a post that said "Let's just put this all to rest...and lighten up a bit... we are starting to sound like a Jerry Springer episode". The next post was entitled "JERRY, JERRY, JERRY". (NOT HELPIN ). You know, I had a lot of people that weren't very nice to me in high school.. I was flat chested (still am) and wore braces all through high school. But I moved on, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let this girl move on before she hunts me down and does whatever it is that she so adamantly wants to do to me. YES kids are cruel in high school, but there were a LOT meaner kids than me, even ones that picked on me. I almost feel sorry for her , reading all the responses to her "Tirade". But you know what? She hit a nerve with the "waitress" comment. I may "JUST" be a waitress, but I am a DAMN good waitress.. one that loves her job, enjoys going to work every day and has great satisfaction in knowing that I have customers that call just to see if I am working. I am so sorry that I offended this girl thirty years ago.... But for "Pete's Sake" Move on Sister, remember that I was 15 then, and I am 48 now. If I still held a grudge against all high school pettiness and cruelty...THAT would be a full time job, and then I would not have time to write my blogs.... Now THAT, would be REALLY cruel!! Till next time...."Big ole mean COTTON!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like she is just jealous that you are happy.She needs to be put on ice to cool her down and up her dosage of meds. I don't even think she would qualify for "JERRY"S" show

Joannah said...

I think I just peed my pants! You sure do leave a lating impression there Cotton. I would just like to say that in my blog I refer to you not as "just a waitress" (totally, effing offensive to me too!!!!) but " the best waitress in the world." Period. I cant wait till I buy your book someday. I hope it makes a lot of money. Like $400,000.