Saturday, March 31, 2018

We May Think Differently But We're All The Same Inside


 I lived (for over fifty six years) in Georgia.  As a little girl, growing up,  it was overwhelmingly Caucasian where we lived. Our racial division was a road named Norman Berry Drive. The whites lived on the north side of it, the blacks lived on the south side of it. We had our schools, they had theirs. We had our parks, tennis courts and ball fields, at least three or four gyms and an Olympic sized swimming pool, complete with a high diving board which always had a line of us waiting.



 The blacks had one small swimming pool, maybe one gym and for the life of me can't remember one ball park or tennis court.

How humiliating (for them) and embarrassing (for me) was that?

It was just the way things were in the fifties and sixties, especially in the south. The high school I attended was the first one to be totally integrated. They closed the blacks only high school and made it a junior high for all eighth graders from both schools. By the time I graduated it was an even racial divide. There were never any problems or tension, we all simply got along. It was my first real exposure to black culture. The students were all bussed over, dropped off  or drove from the south side of Norman Berry to the north side to attend high school in an all white community.


I often wonder why we can't all still get along?

Not just blacks and whites, but every ethnicity, every religion, every gender, culture, political party or even every different mindset of thinking.

One thing is for certain, cut any person open and we're all the same on the inside.

I'm amazed by people, who while claiming to be a Christian, feel it is okay to bash others on social media, often calling them horrific names, posting derogatory comments, memes and personally attacking them and even their family members.

Umm...have you forgotten about that "Golden Rule" to live by?





Jimmy Carter is a man I admire and is wise beyond his ninety something years. I would have to say since I was born in 1960, three men have stood out to me in my life more than most. My own Diddy, Martin Luther King Jr. and Jimmy Carter.

All men, who may have had faults of their own but overwhelmingly had excellent beliefs and visions for a better future.


I feel as if this nation , my nation, is almost polarized beyond the point of redemption.

We live in a society which seems to favor pointing fingers over extending a hand to hold or help.


I'll be honest. I'm not a fan of  Trump. I didn't like him on The Apprentice, or even before that, so certainly knew I wouldn't enjoy him sitting in The Oval, but he is.

I have never bashed him or his family. It is what it is.

He is our elected president and wish him nothing but success. To wish him anything less would be wrong for all concerned.

I've shaken my head often at his Tweets, especially when he spelled Marine Corps 'Core' and back pedalling on Mexico paying for the wall, which seems now like he intends for to come out of our pockets.

The real problem is that over forty percent of eligible voters never bother to vote.

What a true travesty for democracy.

Let's hold hands rather than hold grudges and point fingers.

Let's come to the table of our future existence, sit down and talk about what we want to leave as our mark and contribution to society as life goes on.

I'd much rather be a lover than a hater.





When will this world realize what my own Momma taught me at an early in the deep south of Georgia?






All you can do is hope. All you can do is pray.

Just don't hate.

Worst four letter word ever.

Till next time...COTTON



















No comments: