Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Charlie Needs a Good Therapist











The first picture is our idiot Bulldog with his fat head stuck through a hole he chewed through the privacy fence so he could get a better view of the world he is terrified of. He worked on the hole for a good two days before he got the space big enough to wedge his fat head through. I ended up having to stick a metal pole in the ground just to keep the idiot in the yard.

Not that he goes anywhere when he gets out of the back yard. He escapes from the back yard and runs around to the front of the house and sits by the front door looking through the window for someone to let him back in. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I was at work today when one of the other server's asked me where I took my dogs to be groomed? I told her I took them out in our driveway and turned on the hose. She has just recently gotten a dog .

Then she asked me where I got their nails clipped and I told her usually in the garage. I told her I had an extra pair of clippers I would give her.

The owner was in his office listening to us and leaned back out of the office and said "You're an old school dog person like me , Kelly. Just feed them and love them til they die."

Heck, I haven't even taken my dogs to have shots in over two years...they're lucky they get fed. I don't mean to sound heartless...I used to faithfully take my dogs once a year for checkups and shots. When it came time to HAVE to choose between their shots or my kid's , my kid's won the coin toss. Of course the dog's vaccination's would have been cheaper, but I'd rather be considered a crappy dog owner than a crappy Mom.


My female Boxer who is over 10 years old (pretty old for a Boxer) can barely walk anymore. She has horrible hip dysplasia and does okay on the carpet in the house or out in the yard but when she hits the linoleum kitchen floor her back legs go weak as water and in two different directions. In lieu of surgery I just keep a beach towel going from the linoleum to the carpet so she can get to the back door. It kills me to see her struggle but she is still happy and eating. Once in the yard she can still even run after Charlie like no body's bid- ness.
I was out back today with the three stooges between my shifts and noticed that Rosie is getting worse, even stumbling around in the yard now. It breaks my heart to see her struggle but she doesn't seem to be in pain, just losing her ability to walk. I need to start thinking about what is best for her, but even having a dog put to sleep is out of my price range right now.

I know people that have put their dogs through Chemo or spent thousands of dollars on surgery to keep them just a short time more. I don't have that option.
Charlie is deaf as a post but a dummy anyway, it has grown to be part of his charm. Ham is healthy as an ox and almost as big as one. Rosie is totally the "Alpha" dog and both the Male's demure to her.


I'll give it a month...or should I say I'll give myself a month longer with her.
We got Rosie when the kids were young and she has grown up with all three of my children. She is as much a part of our family as any of us.

I can remember when she was a young pup, chasing Zach across the backyard pulling his shorts down as he tried to scramble up on the wooden fort out back. I gotta find that pic.

We will just love her until it hurts her too much. Then it will kill a part of me to have to say goodbye to her. She grew up with all three of my children and IS one of my kids.

I love looking at these pics of her as a rambunctious young pup...and that is the way I will remember her.
"Pics of our sweet "Rosie."

"Only the good die young."

She is only a decade into our lives but will be a part of our family memories forever.

She may get better but I don't think so. She has had a good run and for a Boxer ten years is close to the cut off.

Guess it's getting time to lose my first pup in a long while.

The kid's know it is coming but it won't be easy for any of us. She went through two years of Zach trying out Kindergarten... pulling his pants down as he tried valiantly to jump on the wooden fort out back before she snagged his britches (He never won THAT race.)
She lived In my oldest son's bedroom for her first year until she fell through the crack of his cheap "Futon" I bought him at Big Lots (you get what you pay for.)
She has watched all three of my kids grow up and loved all three of them...unconditionally.
We love her the same..."Unconditionally."
JEEZ..
I "Ain't got no money" to save her or even try!
It reminds me of when Massey was about four years old. We gave her a doctor's kit for Christmas and she played with it as I lay prone on the couch (like a good victim.) I tried to act realistic when asking "Oh Doctor, will I live?" She quickly responded "Yes..You will live with your family."
Rosie has lived with her family and her family has loved her.
The time is getting close and I am putting off the inevitable.
At least I still have all these pictures and will remember her as the kid that gave me the "Least amount of needed therapy or problems."
Til next time..."Counting Down the Days and Waiting on the Tears Cotton."
















No comments: