Thursday, November 6, 2008

Veterans Day at My Daughter's School

I attended the Veterans Day service at my daughter's middle school today.

I began to tear up when the color guard marched in the flags.

It was an extremely moving and emotional program... and over 1000 middle school children were silent and attentive (kudos to the principal that rules them with an iron thumb).

Vets from world war two, vets from Vietnam , Korea and the numerous Gulf wars were there. It was the most amazing two hours that I would never think that could come out of a middle school program.

These men and women were called out by name, recognized for their medals, honors and years of service.

Each branch..Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard were lined up , recognized and each group received a standing ovation.

I felt emotional throughout the entire ceremony, and when one of the Naval officers from world war two wept while their anthem was played by the middle school band...I was brought to tears myself.

I live in Georgia... a Republican state.

What amazes me about being a Democrat here is that most people look at me as if I can't possibly be patriotic if I am a Democrat. I am possibly the most patriotic and passionate person that you could ever meet.

I wear my heart on my sleeve, and I and never worry about professing my party affiliations or voicing my convictions.

I am also the first person to go out of my way to help another human being...or even a dog (I am am a big canine supporter as well).

Sometimes I feel like I spend more of my time helping others than I do helping my own family.

But I know that MY family is loved and cared for.

To me what counts are the people that are sick or in need . It feels so good to have someone come see you when you are feeling bad or down...just to have someone knock on your door with a paltry offering of a grilled cheese sandwich is sometimes a welcome meal...and you can always stay to chat if you can.

To cut neighbors grass when they are elderly; You wouldn't believe how much the Mee Maw and Paw Paw next door to me appreciate my lawn work on their yard (granted I LOVE yard work).

The friend of my daughter's, whose mother has had her car repossessed. We pick her up every Monday and bring her to our house to do homework and sometimes have dinner.

Or a customer at my restaurant that has had heart surgery and is elderly. How hard is it to take the time to go pick up lunch and have a visit with her and give her an hour of your time to let her talk and feel loved?

My new neighbors that move into our subdivision and we take them a basket of homemade brownies and invite them to dinner at our house.

Yes, I feel the compulsion to take care of everybody.

But if I didn't, do you know what a heel I would feel like?

My husband told me the night of the election "Kelly, you wear your bleeding heart liberal name very well".

I would never have it any other way.

I love my country, I love my neighbors, I love my friends AND my children's friends.

At the end of each day, I know that I have done my best to help others and it helps me feel better about the person that I am and the person that I hope to be someday. (I haven't EVEN begun to make my mark as I want to).

I have faith in our President elect.

The "Messiah" allusion was labeled upon him from republican ads with Brittany Spears and Paris Hilton .

But I truly do feel like he is a messenger of hope.

I feel optimism for this country and for all the men and women that are currently in harms way.

I don't want MY kids there; and pray that we can bring all the troops left overseas home safely.

Just give this new President a chance before you throw anymore stones.

God bless America, God bless each and every one of you.

And if any of you need help... don't hesitate to call on me. It's what I do!!

No comments: