Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My middle child

My middle child is 15 years old...going on thirty. He is so intelligent that sometimes I wonder who his real parents are! Unfortunately he doesn't like to put forth much, if any effort into his school work. His arguments are vast and varied. Number one: he hates that you are judged by grades and numbers. Number two: All his teachers are mean and unrelenting. Number three: the whole world is against him. I guess that third one goes for most all fifteen year olds. My oldest son was so easy going and sweet at fifteen.... I should have known I had my repayment coming. My son has ADD. He was diagnosed in kindergarten. (his second time through) I always say he liked kindergarten so much, he did it twice !! In third grade he started taking medicine... and immediately started making straight A's. I wasn't really crazy about him taking a stimulant; as he had no hyperactivity, just the inability to concentrate. The next year, a new drug came out strictly for focusing. It was not a level two drug and was not a stimulant. I felt much better about him being on this new medication, and his grades were still high. By the time he hit the fifth grade, the "Rebel" in him began to rear it's ugly head. He said it was his body, and he didn't want to put drugs in it. I thought to myself " I'll remember that when I catch you smoking pot when you are a teenager!" But I thought I'd let him try it his way. It has been a constant and uphill battle from the moment he quit taking his medication. He is so bright and smart; but refuses to use his ability in school. He can tell you about ANYTHING or knows more about history, government, and science than any college professor that I ever had. Yet he can't pass Algebra. Let me rephrase that... he doesn't TRY to pass algebra. Let me give you a small example of his thinking.. even at the age of 5. It was before I took my kids to church. I grew up in the church, and had loving Christian parents. If the doors were open; we were all there. But I slipped out of the habit in my twenties, and preferred to "home school" my kids in religion... usually listening to "Jesus Christ Superstar" booming on the stereo while we picked up around the house on Sunday mornings. On Easter, we were driving in my van over to my sister's house for dinner. My son was in his car seat in the back, and as we passed a church with the three crosses on their front lawn, I commented to him; "you know they put a nail through each of Jesus' hands, and through his feet when they put him on the cross. " To which my 5 year old replied quite calmly... " I thought they hung him with a rope." I was glad he could see me trying to suppress my laughter, and said "no, they just call it hanging from the cross. " He asked me why there were two other crosses; to which I replied, there was a robber on either side of Jesus. I went on with my lesson.. saying, "you know what Jesus said to all of the people that did that to him, right before he died.....He said I forgive you". My son looked quietly out the window, and said " Well, I would have said: I Will GET you." I remarked, well that is why your name is Zachary, and his name is Jesus... and we will all be in church next week !! It just amazed me how his little 5 year old brain worked. He has continued to amaze me over the years with his knowledge; although his report cards hardly show it. My husband said if we can just get him through school, he will probably be the next Bill Gates. Recently though, he told me he is tired of making bad grades, and will apply himself more towards his school work. I hope that he does. His father and I are waiting for him to come out of the fog that he seems to be struggling through, and live up to the huge potential he has. Every teacher he has comments on his intelligence, and great gift of debate.... he would make an excellent lawyer...he has been told this by the principal who called him into his office one time for a chat. I pray for all my kids, and I pray for my sanity almost as much. Kids are the greatest blessing as well as the greatest challenge that life can throw your way. Enjoy them as much as you can, because time seems to go by in the blink of an eye. My oldest is 21, and it seems like yesterday he was watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, playing Tee ball, and still liked me to tuck him into bed at night. I hope I am not aging as quickly as them....unfortunately we all know that I am!!

1 comment:

Joannah said...

I think I love this blog the most. This is a very sweet, hilarious homage to Zach. I feel very similarly in regards to my own middle child Mason. This is the best blog ever. Im telling everyone about it.