Sunday, January 20, 2008

My extended family

I have a wonderful immediate family, a terrific husband, three great kids, a sister and brother in law, and a brother that is related to me whether he likes it or not! I have such an amazing extended family that I do not know what I have done to deserve, but cherish just the same. One of my closest friends at work actually came to me with the idea of starting this blog. It is the greatest thing that has happened to me in a while. Once I finally get published ... she will be my manager...right now, she just manages my life. We are co-"Head Waitresses" at the restaurant we both work at... a title that we gave ourselves; but one that all the other servers seem okay with ...not that they have a choice. They probably all throw a party on the days that she and I are not there to boss them around and tell them what to do. Of course she and I are mothers... and we tend to be the greatest and most efficient bosses in the world (just ask our husbands.) The rest of my extended family is the group of 75 or so that I work with six days a week. I am closer to some than others; but we have a tremendous bond with each other. We work under a huge amount of "pressure" ( that's what we'll call the public in this post). I would call a busy shift "controlled Chaos" at best. The kitchen guys are the best I have ever worked with, the management team is exceptional; and us?? We are just there to try to pump out the food as quick as possible, that people order fast and furiously....nobody wants a cold steak or potato. We all work together as a team, and for the most part do a pretty fantastic job. We have our ups and downs...spats and disagreements...but when all is said and done... We are the LHORN family, and a tighter group you will be hard pressed to find. One recent example. At Thanksgiving, my husband was laid off without any reason or notice. He had just had a great employee evaluation, and been given a three percent raise. It was the first time he had ever lost a job, and the first time in over 25 years that he was unemployed. He and I were both smacked in the face with our reality of living on a server's salary. Every Christmas at my restaurant, we donate to a needy family. Since Christmas was 4 weeks away... The signs were already up at the restaurant...we were helping a single mom with 4 kids. I went to the girls collecting money to make a $20 donation. My friends said no... they said Tim and I had our own troubles, and to keep the money. I told them to accept my money... I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around. Work was really busy this Holiday season, and I had the opportunity to really pick up a lot of shifts for extra money. But with bills still piling in; I started to panic. The Friday before Christmas, when it was time to take the money we had raised to the single mom... I was called to the back of the restaurant by the two girls collecting the money and was handed an envelope. Inside a Christmas card was a heart stopping note from all of my fellow workers... the single mom was fictitious.. they were collecting for my family! I tried to refuse the money, but they insisted it was what they wanted to do....help one of their own. I threw my arms around them and literally sobbed in their arms. It was positively the most thoughtful, sweet and kind thing that anyone has ever done for me. My kids got every single thing they wanted for Christmas, thanks to this group of random people that are not blood related to me in any way; but are as much my family as my husband, brother and sister and my kids. I have never felt more overwhelmed by a gift, or appreciative of the true acts of complete friendship and selflessness that these people showed me. I cried for days; tears of joy, gratitude, and relief. It was absolutely the most wonderful Christmas I have ever had ... Thanks to my extended family. I have always loved my job, but how truly blessed am I that the people at my job love me too? How lucky am I to have come upon this group of people that in my time of need; not only stepped up to the plate, but let me know that they all loved and cared for not only me, but my family as well? I will never forget their generosity and love... and I love each and every one of them as much as a person possibly can. I saved the Christmas card with their sweet note, and each of their names written in it. It will be kept forever (trust me , I am a pack rat... and it WILL be kept) I am one of the luckiest people in the world to have my extended family, and even luckier that they want to have me be a part of theirs. It is not just a job to me....it is a living; made worth while... by this group of people that I am lucky enough to have in my life, and lucky enough to call my friends. And you know what? What goes around DOES come around...Just ask me.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Hey Kelly ~

This one made me cry like a baby! My dogs are looking at me like I'm nuts. I know what your husband is going through ~ I lost my job too. I did have a bit of warning and a great severance, but it still sucks!! One day there, the next day not. I know something great is out there for me and the same for your husband. I wish him well in his search!

Take care,

Sandy