Monday, September 23, 2024

Ties That Bind

 


As my sixties continue to rapidly creep up on me I am reminded more and more often about the importance of the family and how much they add to not only your life but hopefully theirs as well.


A few months ago, Tim and my brother started tossing around the idea of us going to Miami to see the Braves play the Marlins for a day trip. Miami is less than three hours from here so was totally doable. Then we invited my sister and her Georgia gang. One of her sons and his wife were able to come as well, and we all met up on Sunday a few hours before the game.

We decided to go to a Cuban restaurant for lunch before the game to avoid stadium food...and boy did it work out! My brother led us to a Cuban restaurant someone recommended to him and were MUY impressed.




The Versailles. Open since 1971. Incredible menu, food and spectacular service.

After lunch we all headed to the stadium for the game. We secured parking passes beforehand and the walk to the stadium doors was less than five minutes.

There were as many Braves fans as Marlins fans. Beautiful stadium with the Miami downtown skyline in the back ground through the glass walls. Reminded me of Bobby Dodd stadium with the ATL skyline in the background.

Close game, lots of ups and downs, could have gone either way and often did. In the end Braves came out on top and a good time was had by all! Even if they had lost it was still a win being with family. Great seats, right behind the Braves dugout. Many foul balls came our way, some very close and was just a fun, fun afternoon.


As I grow older sooner than I'd like to, it's times like these that make me smile the most. Both our parents have passed. Our mother in 1977 and our father in 2002. It's just me, my sister and brother left now.


We sometimes squabble about stupid stuff but guarantee you we all three have each others' back. They've both had to have mine more often than not in the past decade (or two) but Tim and I have finally  turned the proverbial financial corner and are blessed beyond belief to be debt free and while not exactly living on easy street are living the life we've always wanted to live. We found our little slice of paradise and were  lucky enough to have it paid off in less than five years and simply enjoying what life we have left and all that life has to offer. Family, as small as it can get sometimes, good neighbors and newly made friends here in Otown make up our world now.  Old friends who have remained constant in our lives and helped us time and time again will always have a special place in our hearts. We are blessed and believe me we know and appreciate it.






This idiot, also known as our brother is the biggest goofball, but biggest speaker of truth and champion for me, my sister and people who live life right, whether it be an employee, friend or acquaintance. He is truly Frank Leach personified.

I have never met anyone who doesn't like my older brother and sister. I wish I could say the same about myself. 

I'm working on it...I'm the youngest so am giving myself a grace period since I'm on social media a lot more than either one of them; but weaning myself off because of the ridiculous political posts during this tumultuous election. 

Never take or believe social media as fact...except for my blog. (lol)




Till next time, COTTON

 

No comments: