Thursday, June 7, 2018

Oh Ziggy


Oh Ziggy...


My Lil' black and white, Houdini.





You were always the problem child but had personality and a smile that could make anyone's day. You chewed up four remote controls your first month with us, followed by knocking down our twelve foot Christmas Tree on Christmas Eve and chewing up the lights.








You could jump a five foot fence like it was a baby gate and often did.

We thought maybe a peep hole would keep you satisfied, it did the other two dogs.



Then there's the time we found you in this picture posted on Facebook after searching the woods for over four hours,



 after you jumped the back fence. The nurses at the elementary school half a mile away had you with them in the school office. You were always seemingly trying to escape a concentration camp...when in fact you lived a phat life in an over half an acre fenced in perfectly great yard with plenty of food, water and even a house where you were encouraged  rather than merely allowed, up on all beds and couches.

Once we had you neutered, your wanderlust faded. Guess those really were 'bouncy balls' you had.




You haven't tried once to jump the fence in our tiny yard in Orlando which is not even four feet high.




 You've been to the beach and were real intrigued by God's huge water bowl.

Sure didn't do much for your thirst though.






All our dogs have been and are, good dogs. They all have different stories and are as varied as my own three human children.

We still miss Ole Charlie, Sir Charles, Chally Boy, Chally Too Fat, Scar Face and about ten other nick names. In hindsight, fourteen years is an excellent run and his life should be remembered as a celebration of that.




Ham's number's up next, he'll be fourteen this year, but when it happens will also be thought of as a celebration of a good, long life.




-

The reason we invested all this money in Ziggy's surgery is that he only recently turned six, still feels and  acts like a puppy and should  be around for quite a few years. to come.


It hasn't been his favorite thing to ever happen to him.

This was over a week after surgery. Two more scars on the other side.

He adapted well (considering) and after a shaky couple of days, rebounded. Everything is healed but about one inch part in the middle of that hugest scar. The one spot he could reach turned into a lick fest every time we weren't watching him. The hard plastic cone was like coming at him dressed in a "Dog Catcher" uniform holding that pole with the wire noose on one end. The city of Orlando where we live didn't have one size large blow up 'no bite' collar so went with the cheapest next, which was a size medium for twenty bucks.

Ziggy is about as medium sized as I am.





Anyway, it worked great for a few days until he finally figured out exactly where he had to get that collar clasp around his neck to be , so he could still lick that one inch  wound with that white Cool Whip (freakin' antibiotic creme) he just couldn't get enough of, he'd even lick it off the dog bed. Problem is, it made him sick.


Idiot.


I was supposed to take him back for a wound recheck the other day but  has healed so well (thanks to the small cone) knew the Vet would just say, "Great job, Ms. Cotton! Just keep on doing what you're doing and we'll see Ziggy back here once he finishes all his medicine. That'll be thirty five dollars; you can pay at the front desk."

I called and say I had to reschedule for the following week.

I also bumped up my game since I was already taking shortcuts again. I knew he had healed pretty well (because we busted our asses taking care of him after that surgery) and with vigilance would recover just fine. The right size collar and the wound would be gone in less than five days without him licking the medicine off.

 I went in search of a bigger inflatable collar, meant for a dog his size. I went to five stores; none had large and only one had extra large.

I bought it.

Forty bucks.

Dammit.


Of course, he weighs over eighty five pounds so maybe I should have gone for extra large from the jump.


It's just that extra large one had that extra large price tag, but I got it. If you're gonna get 'em well on your own, that last step of the way...do it right.


Ziggy about lost his mind with the right size collar on. He couldn't even see the part of the scar he wanted to lick. He could feel that creme on there after we applied it. He could sniff it. He knew it was back there. He knew he really wanted it. At least he could see it with the little collar. He stood in the middle of the room for twenty minutes not moving...obviously pondering this new twist (and complication) to his recovery, his way.

He scrubs the doorways, couches and beds. He's like a freight train with his big new bumper. Its thrown him off balance, us one upping him.

He wanders around like a dude who was stripped of his Mo Jo, or at least his "Dog" card. He gets creeped out about settling down, kept me up all last night, pacing the floor and wouldn't lay down. Not licking that wound was driving him nuts...and it showed.

But at least we haven't had to apply that creme more than twice a day and stays visably on there the entire time. The wound is down to under half an inch wide and healing up 'pinkishly.'

I put the vet appointment off until this Monday morning so Tim can finally go with me again. I get nervous when that office is full of dogs all yapping at each other. My dogs aren't yappers but sure perks them up when the heard all that ruckus. Zggy pulled me down the last time when we were in the exam room (luckily alone) and two dogs out in the lobby seemed to be having a growling pissin' contest.

I could let Tim take him and stay at home  but know the vet is going to be very impressed with Ziggy's often hard to come by progress and how well he's done; he should at least commend us for our efforts before sending us to the lobby window for another office visit payment.

That's right. I want MY credit.





I'll say Tim helped some too.


Pretty sure tomorrow will be the last visit unless we need those couple of staples to stay in for a bit.

It took Ziggy about two days to finally get the drift that he's stuck with the right size inflatable collar now so may as well get used to it...and kiss that 'lickfest' good bye.

And he has.

And he has healed.







And just like that, Ziggy looked even better the next  morning. Tim suggested calling and moving the appointment (yet again) for his recheck until the following week. I agreed. They've (the vet) most probs caught on to us by now but pretty sure they know we are taking Ziggy's getting well seriously while at the same time trying to save a buck.


It happened for us at a good time. It happened when we were caught up financially  (also something to celebrate) and at a time when someone would always be at home to take care of the patient. I better be in Ziggy's will.


Tim and I are also super excited that late next month we'll all (even Zach) be on vacationfor a week together in the Keys. None of us Clampetts have been there. My brother is going and taking his boat. My sister, her husband and hopefully their boys, spouses and significant other can make it as well.

I get chills every time I think about this trip.

Talk about a "Sit right back and you'll hear a tale" moment?!!


I'm taking a coconut in case we need to make a radio or something.





I'm finally getting used to not feeling like a failure anymore. It's a different feeling.
It's  a reassuring feeling.
It's a good feeling.


I am so down the line on why all this goodness happened to us, but sure am glad they haven't kicked me out of the dance yet.

I think I still look pretty good...




Don't you?



I'm finally feeling back to my old self again after being sick for what felt like forever. Bonus points am also up to triple digits on the scales, even without my Danskos, for the first time in over five years.



I got this now, thanks to my past.


Til next time...COTTON

No comments: