Friday, September 14, 2012

When Life Told Me to Sink or Swim...I Started Dog Paddling Immediately

I used to want to be rich. Now at  the age of fifty two I realize I am!

I don't have a savings account unless you  count my jar of coins. I have almost three hundred dollars in my checking account but unfortunately have four hundred dollars worth of checks floating hopefully extremely slowly towards my account.

I have a job where I am never guaranteed to make money but have to rely on my skills as a server and the flow of business at the restaurant. When I don't need the cash immediately,  guests tend to throw it at me. When I need it the most...sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. This week was one of those weeks when it didn't.

I always say a prayer before I check my bank account and sometimes even make deals with The Big Guy before I put in my password. I have been lucky this week in that respect.

I know it is a terrible way to conduct my financial affairs but "A mommas gotta do what a mommas gotta do."

On the other end of  the spectrum, I am rich beyond belief. We still have our house and all the necessities...air, heat, gas, water and electricity with the added bonus of Internet and cellular devices.

I have three kids I couldn't love more if  tried although  all three have tried me time and time again . I have a husband who loves me for some unknown reason and three dogs who make me smile every day and remind me why I quit having kids.

My older two dogs are great...the puppy is an accident waiting to happen. (huge pun intended)

Every day it's something else. He likes to get the toothpaste the kids leave too close to the edge of the counter of the bathroom sink. At least his breath smells wonderful.

He's insane! He loves random shoes, house plants and anything left in a waste basket in the bathroom. He's happy all the time,  even when he's in trouble and I think that's why I love the little stinker so much.

I've had a lot of trouble over the past few years but  have always tried to be happy.

Sometimes it was hard but my dogs make it easy. They are happy every time I walk in the door. They never complain when they have  to wait a day for dog food. They never complain they haven't had their shots. They never complain when I beat  their butts for getting out of the fence but seem eternally grateful when I help them back under the hole they dug  to get out.

They all sleep with me every night. One gets in the dog bed on the floor,  another gets under the bed and the last one gets on the bed beside me. I've never had to get any of them out of jail and I've never been called in for a conference about them.

I've cleaned up their messes but I have cleaned up my kids messes too. My kids will say "I am sorry" and my dogs have learned that when I point my finger in their face..."They better be sorry!"

They never ask for money or my car. They never want...but always give. Sometimes it's love and sometimes it's grief, but at least they GIVE!

It's not like I have a pristine house. I raised three kids and half the neighborhood in my house. At least when the dogs do something wrong I can smack them on the butt and it seems to sink in. Good luck with that theory when it's teens!

I am a rich woman. I have survived and lived to tell my story. I have three kids who have all pleased me greatly. They have stumbled, what kid doesn't?

My kids are all on their way and I am left at home with three pups who need direction, love and discipline every single day.

Once again...I am starting over. It's better than giving in.

Til next  time..COTTON





No comments: