Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Hardest Part


It's true. The waiting is the hardest part. Well that, and all the drinking!! After a week of preparation, this has been the longest twelve hours ever!

There are a ton of tornado warnings, luckily only one near us..so far. The rain has been steady, sometimes pretty torrential but so far not too windy. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, it's only four in the afternoon and our worst weather is due between six PM and six AM.

Massey already flipped her mattress against her picture window and has currently taken up residence in her bath tub.






She's been in there pretty much all day. Sleeping bag, pillow, cell phone and lap top...all any twenty two year old girl needs these days. The dogs wander in and out, visiting and keeping her company.

Tim wanted to flip our mattress as well but that got a big negative vote from me. Nobody puts Baby in a corner and nobody takes apart my king size adjustable Tempur-Pedic bed. Not while the cable and A/C are still running.

Of course if the weather turns nasty suddenly, I'll be hollering at him about listening to me in the first place, as I bark out orders for mattresses to be flipped against the picture window in our bedroom...and to hurry up about it!!


I cooked dinner in the crock pot overnight and now we've just vegged out all day. I watched four hours of TWD marathon, relaxing in my wonderful bed, Tim's watching football in the living room and Massey is manning the bathroom.




The birds in the retention pond behind our house are the weirdest creatures I've ever seen. Massey counted, 194 of them, all facing the same way...directly into the driving rain. I guess they know something we don't, but can't for the life of me figure it out.



Our worst weather is now a little over an hour away and expected to last twelve hours. Not looking forward to it being overnight, but it is what it is.

I don't know how people survived hurricanes before social media was invented, but sure glad we didn't move to Florida until it was.

Even Tim thought this one was funny:





At this point I am more worried about all the tornado activity around us. I feel pretty good that we still have power, cable and internet. I'm not certain I can last without A/C. I have some pretty massive hot flashes. Sometimes sweat pools up in that little hollow place below my adam's apple. When I'm on my back, I can splash the sweat with my finger...not gonna lie. How long is The Big Guy going to punish us women for Eve giving Adam that apple anyway?





We're almost to the ground zero hour, less than fifty minutes to go. I guess I'll go ahead and post this before our luck runs out.

The good thing is, it's run out before and we survived...and can do it again.


All you need is love and sometimes a little help from your friends.

Lucky for us, we got both.



Continuing to hunker down and hope for the best...

Till next time, COTTON

No comments: