Saturday, August 26, 2017

The British Are Coming, The British Are Coming!

Our wonderful friends from across the pond came to visit us Clampetts in Orlando this weekend.


I don't think I've ever made such good, fast friends as the time I was very first introduced to them last summer. When you immediately want to tightly hug someone you have never met and that feeling is sincerely returned, you know you've just made wonderful new friends. They surprised Massey last year by showing up at her birthday party at my sister's house and fit right in with us Bumpkins. We were all excited when they decided to spend part of their 'holiday' this year in Orlando and accepted our offer of dinner at my brother's house. Massey said John wanted an authentic southern meal...which happens to be about my only forte'.


 They seemed rivoted by every thing I was preparing and quickly learned that buttermilk is pretty important to us southern cooks...that, and oodles of butter and salt.





I made deviled eggs first so we could snack on them while I cooked the rest of the meal and kinda chuckled when Penny said deviled eggs were kind of like a 'seventies' type dish to most Brits. I told her that's because most everything I cook is from the seventies, when my momma died and began my cooking career using her cook book, from the early fifties.





It's one of my most prized possesions, and wish my own was in this good of shape.

Here's mine:


Works all the same though! It's the most detailed cookbook I've seen or been lucky enough to own. If a recipe requires mayonaise, it directs you to the page for making mayonaise.

Shut The Front Door.



I rarely measure anything but instead tend to dump in ingredients with a heavy hand, always adding a pinch of sugar. (huge southern rule of cooking)


Over almost forty years of trying and always asking questions of chefs I've worked for through the years, will say with (almost) conviction that I'm a pretty okay cook...but hands down the Creamed Potatoes Queen.





We had a great time. The girls kicked in and helped with the chicken frying while I fried the okra and baked the cornbread. There's nothing I love more than company while I cook, and I had plenty of fabulous company.






It is a wonderful feeling to be happy again...and I finally am. It was a rough start beginning again in an unknown place and suddenly unenemployed but once again realized after several kicks in the butt that no one ever said life would be easy, because it isn't...but is so totally worth it.



My brother and sister have helped me time and time (and time) again.




I've helped my own kids time and time again and will continue to do so. It's what you do when you love someone. You love them, and in return they love you back.


























True fact.




Face the facts, I'm way over halfway done with my life but am gonna knock these last years out of the park...and make every one count, to the max and then some.

Lately I've gotton ole Jed (Tim) to come up with a music video to tie my blog all together and he's been pretty spot on.



Til next time...Cotton

No comments: