Sunday, August 13, 2017

Namaste

I'm fifty seven, that's old to me. At least my body doesn't look like a busted can of biscuits and consider myself in fairly good shape. It's mainly because I've had such a physically demanding job for almost forty years. I never sit down while at work unless it's to pee, and that takes about fifteen seconds. Carrying heavy plates on the same arm five days a week for decades tends to get your alignment out of whack.



My back started going out about once every year or so around the time I hit my late forties. It lasts about a week and is not fun. Tim has told me for (literally) years that I need to stretch...every day. I know he's right, I just never think about it if my back doesn't hurt. I go into a shift feeling pretty frisky but lately as a shift wears on, my lower back begins to feel as if I'm 'all stove up'  (southern speak) and is painful when I have to lean over to pick something up, especially if it's on the floor.

When it first started hurting, Tim would have me lay on my back on the floor and lead me through various stretches he did while playing soccer and football as a teenager, which helped tremendously.

Once my shoulder began killing me too, I knew I had to do something. I was at work about a week ago and mentioned to another server that my back was killing me and my husband always says I need to do more stretching exercises. She asked if I wanted to do Yoga classes?

You know me... I said "will I have to pay for it?"

She said not if I took classes from her, she'd taught for years before her daughter (now four) was born.

BINGO!!

It took us about another week to finally arrange a free day off  together and decided to meet up at my brother's house while he was at work. It was halfway between where she and I live, much bigger than our sardine can rental and totally empty while my brother was working. He told me it was fine by him so we met up there just the other day.

It was immediately obvious she had done it for many years. I'm a 100 pound mighty mite, she's toting some extra pounds around but totally more limber than I have been in over thirty years. Heck, I had to struggle to get one foot on top of the other when she told me to sit 'indian style'. I'm so bony my ankles hurt when on top of each other, especially on the tile flooring.

Number one: I need a Yoga mat.

Number two: Don't do Yoga with a couple of hundred pound Dobermans wandering around the room.



At least my brother's two are well behaved and obey commands. All you had to say when they got right in your face while in a contorted Yoga position was "No" and they would walk away.

It started out easy enough. I liked the initial stretching but couldn't for the life of me get that one leg tucked on top of the other. She did it like it was nothing.

I'm talking about this one.


I finally gave up and just got as close as I could. Of course she started me with beginning moves and most of, I could do.

When she first suggested at work for me to try Yoga for stretching, funny me replied "I'm downward facing dog with that!"

When she instructed me the other day to go into a leaning forward position with my hands stretched out in front of me on the floor said "There's your downward facing dog."


It was a pretty amazing session. In one position I felt my sinuses draining and both ears popped and cleared.

In another position we held, I could feel the bones popping up and down my spine.

Towards the end of the session she instructed me into another position and after holding it for about ten seconds, collapsed on to the floor, telling her it was killing me. She laughed and said "I just thought I'd see if you could do that one."

That ended our initial session. I stayed on my back on the floor for a good five minutes...breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth...per her previous instructions.

It was the most intense, invigorating but relaxing experience I've ever had. It was like having a sexual climax ...only my husband wasn't there.

I kid you not.

She told me I would feel better the rest of the day, and did.

The next morning I woke up, still felt good but was sore. I knew then, this is exactly what I have been needing.

I don't want to join a gym or class I have to pay for, but if I am lucky enough to have a good friend who is willing to lead and teach me for free, count me in!

I was sore for three days but am now ready to go at it again. I can't even imagine how awesome it will be when we do Yoga with soft music playing, no dogs or kids around and can get into that whole Zen thing as well. My mental well being needs some fixin' too.

It was a pretty amazing experience and although am easily impressed, think I may have hit the proverbial nail on the head for most of my ailments.

Till next time...COTTON





No comments: