Thursday, August 24, 2017

Living On Borrowed Time




Ham, our boxer turned thirteen this June. Charlie, our bulldog turned twelve this past winter. That's really old , especially for these particular breeds.

Basically both are living on borrowed time. We all know it, and all dreading the inevitable.


Ziggy, is our youngster at not quite yet six.





 We're hoping he makes it to the same ripe old age as the other two.


I was really surprised Ham and Charlie even survived the move to Orlando. Ham rode shotgun with me. Totally blind, he was a nervous wreck the entire seven hour drive. He wouldn't even sit down the first four hours of the trip, just panted relentlessly. Charlie rode shotgun with my son, Zachary... in his truck with no A/C. Bulldogs don't do hot well. Ziggy rode shotgun with Tim in the moving van and was asleep by the time Tim pulled onto the interstate.

Realistically, Charlie, Ham or both could go any day now. I'm not sure how well any of us will handle that, and certainly don't look forward to it. Charlie seems to be first in line, bless his heart. He seems okay most of the time but can tell he has some aches and pain. Nothing too bad, I wouldn't put him through that. When our old boxer Rosie got too bad, I had her (gently) put down. I found someone from the Humane Society to come to our house and let Rosie go in her own surroundings. Ham still seems strong as a tank, albeit totally blind. It took him less than twenty four hours to know every step and turn of the way in his new surroundings here in Orlando, inside of the house and outside in the backyard as well. He rarely ever bumps into anything, unless we leave a chair out or move something.


Hands downs, he is the most handsome dog I've ever seen. This pic was taken while he could still see. He used to hate it if anyone even laid a hand on me. He'd go nuts when Tim would rub my back or even touch my shoulder.

And the boy's legs were like springs. He could jump well over six feet in the air...and often did. Actually, ole Charlie was pretty spry back then as well. Rosie was just starting to get old and chose to be a spectator instead.


Dang I love my pups...we all do. We're also realists and know the one bad thing about owning them.

They never live long enough.

At least when they do go, we'll know we gave them the best possible life ever, and they gave us the same in return. Our dogs make us happy every single second of every single day...and then some. I know it's coming and preparing myself but will still be sadder than sad.

They never mind me keeping them up late and they never mind Tim waking them up early.

As long as they have fresh water and food, are happy as clams.

I'm not exactly sure where that saying came from and never considered clams to be particularly happy, but have also never seen a living clam, so who am I to judge?




Moving on to more positive things...


Our friends from across the pond are back (US) stateside for 'holiday'...I love the way Brits consider it 'holiday' as opposed to our term 'vacation'. I've learned a lot of terminology from meeting them.

Mostly...

"Cheers" means any number of things, not just "drink up".

It means hello, thank you, that's great, it's good, that was a nice thing to do, you're right, I agree, exactly, or even I love you.

It seems to me, to be a fantastic term of endearment, which our entire world needs to embrace.

That, along with "Love is all you need."

Massey also has two other friends visiting who are brave enough to stay with us Clampetts.

The temp crib is full, and couldn't be happier about it.

Kristen came with her sister and both of them are staying in our spare bedroom, which is the size of a jail cell meant for one. At least it's clean and has a window to jump out of if they need to.

I hope they don't, but at least it's there if they need it.





I moved to Orlando with anticipation and more than a few doubts. It's turned out to be the greatest decision I've ever made.

We're less than six months away from moving into our forever home with room for everyone and then some, complete with a pool and plenty of yard for the pups.

I came, I struggled but I conquered.

It's a tiny house...for now, but my oasis of a back porch makes it all okay.



It's been my place. My little haven. The place where I seeked words of wisdom. It was a hard ten year road but we survived. We (Tim and me) never quit...although we probably both thought about it, but never did.

We're both beautiful losers.








Life is an instant...this exact very instant. Make the best of your instant. When given another day above day above the roses, you have opportunity to bloom.

BAM!!

Til next  time...COTTON





No comments: