Thursday, June 15, 2017

Here Comes The Sun?

I guess I shouldn't complain. It didn't rain here for almost three months and everything was dry as dust. Wildfires everywhere and not one blade of grass in our yard.


Charlie just scrubs his back on the black sand filled with ant hills. I'm assuming, by this point he isn't allergic to them but then again, they probably run from his smell.



For the past week, it has rained like a mofo. And I don't mean a drizzle or light shower...hence the term, mofo.

I had to make myself,  but bathed the dogs, swept and mopped the entire house and swept the screened in back porch, aka the dog's "Crib."

 Massey cleaned her bathroom and I cleaned ours.

It's so refreshing to walk into your bathroom first thing in the morning and look into the mirror without looking through a spatter of dried toothpaste stuck all over it, and  small globs of it dried in the sink like  cheap dinner mints.

Once it was all done, our tiny rental house was so nice to be in, I almost felt ashamed I had to force myself to clean it.

Here's the thing.

When you have three (big) dogs living inside a tiny cement cubicle with a back yard so small that once they take off running will bang into the other side of the fence before they reach full speed...you kinda feel sorry for them, yet are grateful they still seem happy and love you.

My three dogs fall right  behind my three kids as far as my love goes. Not a single one of my dogs have ever asked me for anything or complained about the way I treat them. Not one of them has ever asked to borrow money from me or pouted when their water bowl is a bit slimy.

It's a good thing I'm not a dog.

That's kind of the way I see life.

They can't complain but instead hope I'll simply understand them and comply.

We should all be dogs.

Grateful for what they have, forgiving in an instant and forget misgivings even quicker, with no feelings of resentment.






I'm thinking dogs are smarter than humans. They are certainly more compassionate.


So back to the rain.



We needed it.

I didn't want it, although know it was needed. I moved here for the sunshine.

There's life in a nut shell.

You want what you want.

You don't necessarily think about what you need.


Relating to having dogs, and pretty spot on...



I've prayed and wished, I've survived and pretty much laughed about it the entire journey.




Then my upbringing comes back...not to haunt, but inspire me.

It makes me think about life.






Think about my life over the past decade.

Think about how we almost lost everything. Think about how lucky I am, with all the losses. I have family who loves me unconditionally and continuously.




How in the world can I possibly complain when I have all these people who would do or die for me?

Not to mention about fifty other people I could call at any time...any hour or any day.




That's the time you realize no matter what life throws your way, you're still lucky.

On our climb back, have spent quite a bit of time trying to Pay It Forward. Not enough time, but it's a start.

As long as you start, as long as you try, as long as you continue...good things will happen when you are a good person.

I started with baby steps. A card in the mail. I've worked up to cooking for peeps here who I really care about. A co worker or a neighbor.

You don't realize how  much baby steps mean until you take them.

We have to quit placing blame, pointing fingers at others... we should instead extend our hand and ask what we can do to help.

 Life only gives you one chance...make the most of it.

Til next time...COTTON





No comments: