Tuesday, December 27, 2016

The First One


For the past twenty years this was our home for every single Christmas. This year was our first living not only in a different house but a different state.


We've become used to spending every other Chritmas in Orlando at my brother's lake house, making the seven hour drive down. This year it was a ten minute drive.

It felt strange the entire Christmas season this year. Eighty sunny dgrees every single day while "The weather outside is frightful" was playing on the radio.

Unfortunately as well, am having to start over again at a new job with a forty percent cut in pay. It's inching upward but still  hard to get used to. My savings are gone and miss being able to sock money away like I did when working at the airport. I make enough to pay my bills but am back to that paycheck to paycheck status.

Tim's doing incredibly well with his new job and happy for him, yet almost envious.

I had it all back in Atlanta.

He has it all here.

It's the total Catch 22.




It is what it is, and cope I must.

Holidays are going to be the hardest, with one half of my life still living in Georgia and the other half lving here in Orlando.

It's hard once kids start growing up and begin lives of their own. They have in laws who want them there too. They have responsibilities,  jobs and even kids of their own.

Life is about adapting, and not my forte'.

Guess I'll have to work on that in 2017.

I have to say my sister outdid herself this year with my brother's Christmas present. He has everything in the world and then some (he never had kids) but how awesome is this?



We ate and drank our weight and enjoyed every minute together.


And at the end of Christmas Day, God painted this picture for us.



The Leach sisters were together again, joined by my daughter,  my daughter in law and my two G babes.


Girls rock.


It was great to see Tim and TJ enjoying Christmas together as well.



We missed the three left back in Georgia.

My other nephew, his wife and Casey's wife, Ellie.


I guess the saying is true. When you can't be with the ones you love, love the ones you're with.


I think more than anything, missed having my Lost Boy here.

  Times change, situations change.


At least I got to spend last Christmas with him.

Zach's back in Atlanta, growing up and coming into his own.

I couldn't be prouder of him but sure breaks my heart.

Tim and Massey are driving back to Atlanta over New Year's and taking Zach all his Christmas presents.

I'm working so have to stay here. That may be a good thing. I'd feel like snatching and shoving him into the trunk of the car.

I never thought letting them grow up would be harder than raising them.

Guess I was wrong.



Damn those wings.

Another Catch 22.

I thought I was through, but I'm not.

I want them to grow up but sure miss being their everything.

Reality check.





Having kids is the greatest challenge of all. You want them to leave but hate it when finally do.

Can they make it without you?

Will they make it without you?

The older I get, the more I love my kids.

That's a good thing (I think) and what makes me an okay parent.




It's been a crazy, upside down six months.

But this is what I've learned.



At the age of fifty six, seems like I still have a lot to learn.


Til next time...COTTON

No comments: