Thursday, June 9, 2016

It's a Nut House Now

It may only be June 9th but summer is in full swing at the world's busiest airport. I used to call it the Crazy House but has quickly turned into a Nut House. I'm making money hand over fist but certainly earning every penny of it, and the hard way.

I got to work about 1:45 and by 2:30 had about ten tables going at once.  We ran poor Massey ragged for eight hours straight as our server assistant/food runner but in true Cotton style she knocked it out of the park...and then some. There's a lot I haven't done right in my life, but raising lazy kids isn't one of them.

I even got to a point early this afternoon when had to tell the hostess "No" when she asked if I could take another table? She even came up to me at the computer when I was putting an order in and had to raise my hand to stop her from even talking to me. I was ringing in dinner orders for five different tables and drinks for three more.

Once all was said and done (and rung in) I apologized to her but had so much going on could barely think, much less listen. That little hamster in my head was running so hard on his little wheel I felt sparks coming out of my ears as sweat trickled down my back.

And then, just like that they all left at once to board their flights.

Then it started all over again.

Massey came up to me and said "You're seated at table 103. Hot guy from Game of Thrones."



She was right... on both counts.

He stops in our restaurant when flying out about twice a month. This was the first time I'd waited on him. I welcomed him back and he smiled at me.

Be still, my beating heart!

He was dressed in a suit and tie and looked good enough to eat. Instead, I fed him. He asked for suggestions and took all three offered. He was quiet and wore Beats on his head. When he asked for the check, I did my same ole same ole and presented the check with a (Hersey) kiss goodbye. He paid in cash, leaving me ten extra bucks on top of the added eighteen percent. The next time I walked by he stopped me.

Be still my beating heart...again!

He took off his headphones and asked if he could perhaps have another chocolate? I smiled and gave him a handful, adding "Next time it will cost you a selfie with me."

I work in a Wonderland. A crazy, hands down Nut House but the most amazing place I've ever been paid to work.

And just like that, he was gone.

I had another customer, a single man sitting two seats down from him on the banquette. After Big Red left, my other customer said "I kept trying to take a picture of him but the battery in my phone died."



I'm down to twelve weeks left at my current job. Twelve spectacular weeks of nonstop semi controlled chaos and money out the wahzoo. My husband is a huge fan of Game of Thrones and can't wait to tell him I waited on Tormund Giantsbane.

I never ask celeb's for pics with them but trust me, will give the big dude my entire bag of Hersey Kisses next time he comes in for one.

Then again, just like that ... I'll be gone.


It's been a fantastic two and a half years at the Crazy House and so very glad my daughter got to experience part of it with me.

Then come early September...

us Clampetts will load up our truck and move to Orlandy.

Flat that is... retirementhood.



I can hardly wait.

Till next time...COTTON

No comments: