Saturday, September 5, 2015

Learning to Count... Yet Again


I've worked in the restaurant industry since the late seventies and worked in some pretty great places. I've also worked in a couple that weren't all that great but helped ends meet so will always be grateful for even them.

About a year and a half ago I hit the server lottery...and just in the nick of time.


Yes it can be (and is) a logistical nightmare getting to and from but from a Lifer's perspective, finally hit the jack pot.

Yes it has its moments (and usual one or two weak links) every restaurant does, but all in all
is a pretty wonderful job. The great thing is... the more of yourself put into it, the more you get out of it.

I go in every single shift and show up on time ready to work. I do the best job I can and more importantly strive to constantly be a better server. I literally learn something new every week if not every day.

I work with a crazy eclectic bunch and sometimes wait on the even more eclectic. Some days are hard and not as financially productive as I would hope but other (most) days I walk out well (if not amazingly) compensated for my efforts.

You can have some slow shifts. Problems may arise and sometimes tempers may flare but we're a family. Yes we're a family with a couple of odd balls or nuts but every family has them whether you want to admit it or not.

The bottom line is YOU control your destiny in the serving world.

You can call out, not show up and make no money... or come in with your game face on "passionately move people, provide the opportunity for them to experience joy" and when done properly  is a pretty awesome feeling and can be an incredibly large pay off.

I'm lucky I'm old school and a firm believer in this:

All negative things that sometimes may or sometimes do happen can... with any job or in any line of work. It's up to you to try your best and spin it to your advantage. Let the negatives roll like water off a duck's back and simply do your best, every day...every shift.

I'm even more fortunate this job is in the world's busiest airport. It's not like it's in a strip mall or deteriorating part of town.

It's most probably only going to grow busier and bigger.

Counting my blessings again and thinking I may need a bigger basket to keep them in!

Til next time...COTTON


No comments: