Wednesday, July 1, 2015

You Gotta Roll With It


Sometimes, no pretty much all the time it helps to laugh about things especially when you're sad and can't do anything to change it anyway. Why not try to find some humor?

Our General manager got a new job outside of the restaurant industry and most likely will never see or talk to him again. Tonight was the last shift I worked with him. I totally understand it's what's best for him and his family. They have a six month old boy now,  and will be able to spend a lot more time at home and on a normal weekday schedule. I'm glad for him but sad for us.

I've had a lot of good managers over the years and only a few bad ones but he is hands down the best GM I have ever been fortunate enough to work for. The really cool thing about my job is that all the managers are great and is a pleasure to see any number of them there.

They are all friendly, extremely knowledgeable and continuously encouraging rather than demanding. When I got this job, I really hit the server jackpot.



Of course there are always two or three you mentally roll at when seeing their name on your scheduled shift but the restaurant bunch is  an eclectic one to say the very least.



I think that's why I love the profession so much, it's right up my alley.

It's a job where you have a lot of control over what you make. Do the job right and the job will do you right. (most of the time anyway)

Waiting tables is nothing more than a crap shoot. You can walk out with a pocket full or you could crap out. After over thirty five years think I have become a pretty good gambler. Of course I have my off nights but more often than not walk out more than satisfied, especially with this job.

I've been given, taught and learned more information, tools and methods than I ever knew existed to improve my odds and is a blessing beyond belief, especially at this point in my way over halfway done life.

It was a rocky start for me in fine dining at this age but after four months felt pretty stinking confident and now over a year later have amazed even myself.

Being a really good server should be at least some type of college degree is all I'm saying.

Our GM waited until he had less than a week left before he let the kitchen staff and front of the house know. I was devastated but knew what I had to do.

Make the best out of a bad situation.

Our Manager is from the midwest but of German descendants. I had three days until I last worked with him and spent quite a bit of time finding the best going away present for him. Number one I don't have a whole lot of spare money and number two didn't have a lot of time left.

I found the perfect gift on Amazon for around ten bucks with two day shipping. I gave it to him when we were alone in the hallway out back of the restaurant. On the card envelope had addressed it to "Unser Kommandeur" (our commander)

I handed him the gift wrapped box and told him it wasn't much but something his little boy might find on a shelf in one of their closets some day when he was seven or eight and beg to have. I only asked that he keep my cell number and send me a picture of his boy wearing it. Then hugged his neck, thanked him for being such a great boss and told him once again how much I would miss him.

As he carefully unwrapped it (he's a neat freak too) told him my daughter would never forgive me if he didn't let me take a pic with my cell to show her, she's as crazy about him as I am and has only worked there maybe six or seven weeks. That's how great a guy he is.



Yes he now has a German Officer's Hat, complete with chin strap and you can't tell me when his son finds it one day won't think it's the coolest thing ever!

When I was online buying it the other night my son Zach (who's birthday is Monday) came in the room, looked at the computer screen and said "Whoa! If your boss doesn't want it, I do!"

When he walked out of the room I changed the quantity order to two. Can't wait to see Zach's face when he opens it on his birthday.

Life goes on  (if you're lucky) but you just have to roll with it. Yes it's a gamble.

What isn't?

Til next time...COTTON


No comments: