Monday, February 23, 2015

Ziggy's Jewels... Or Lack Of Them


Today was the day Ziggy got a car ride. He was really excited when I opened the back door of my sister's Mercedes and let him hop right onto the leather seats. I've never seen him look so happy!

It was a short happy ride.


Ziggy's been a bad dog from the get go. We got him during a time when none of us had any time to teach or train him correctly.

Not his fault, so it kinda made you love him even when he was bad.

He got lots of love, if ya know what I mean.



He's almost three and can't seem to learn how to stay in a half acre fenced in yard with all the amenities. Food, water, nice big yard with woods and two dog houses with always fresh kennel shavings.

My sister took her skiddish female boxer on Tuesday to the mobile vet when it was in her area. She was a little worried at first but her pup's coming back around after two days of home recuperation.

I found out about and started using this mobile vet when we were broke as jokes with three dogs to take care of. I took Ziggy as a pup and got all his shots, Rabies included, a complete exam, heartworm test and years supply of preventative for $70. That's pretty stinkin' cheap.

It's a no frills "Vet in the Van" but the Morocca Doc (He's from Morroco) has done fine by all three of my dogs. He cured ole Ham of heart worms and is the only vet I use.

He comes to our county animal shelter every Thursday at eight o'clock and parks in the lot next to the animal shelter and county prison. Until five o'clock he has at least ten people at a time waiting to see him in his waiting room aka their car.

You get out and fill out a form telling him what you need done. When it's your turn you simply walk or carry your pet over to the door of the van as he examines and treats them right there on the literal spot. Sometimes he'll walk over and treat them while they are still in their owners vehicle.

I've never had one neutered there and learned from my sister the night before you were supposed to make an appointment the website before for all the details of the surgery.

Oops, my bad.

Instead I asked my sister what I needed to know since she had just taken her pup. I learned he couldn't eat or have water after midnight and to have him there by 8:15, then pick him back up by five.

That's all the appointment I needed!

He is so crazy busy with people and animals right from the jump, knew I could surely blend into the mass of people easily...and did!

True to fashion I got there fifteen minutes late.

I parked my borrowed car and left it running. It was thirteen degrees and the wind was insaner than me.

I hopped out, grabbed a clipboard from the sign in table and filled it out in the car with Ziggy bouncing all around like I was in the parking lot of a bitch strip joint.  (pun intended)

When one of the assistants came out of the van I jumped out with my form and quickly started off with my spiel as I handed her the clipboard. It went something like this and was fast like a machine gun:

"I know I was supposed to be here at eight fifteen and am late but can I still get my boxer neutered, he hasn't eaten or drank since midnight and I have cash?"

She said she didn't know if there was anymore room left in the van and didn't know where they could put him.

The Morroca Doc came out next and I spoke to him by name. He said hello back, walked over  and shot two little furry dogs in the hip with needles as two old people held them out, turned around and took the next syringe from yet another assistant and gave another pup on a leash a vaccination while the owner smoked a cigarette with her free hand.

It's not a Beverly Hills animal clinic but gets the job done and saves us all hundreds if not thousands.

The other assistant with my clipboard spoke with him and came back to the car to tell me they didn't have any room left. She walked off back towards the van when   Morocca Doc walked over, opened my passenger side door ... took the leash and led him into the van Ziggy was hoping held the strippers but quickly notated with a perk of his ears were certainly a loud  bunch of bitches!

After Ziggy disappeared into the "operationmobile" I got out and asked one of the assistants if they had room now? She told me the Doc asked if I could be back in one hour? I told her heck yeah, apologized once again for being late and got back in the car before they changed their minds.

It was the perfect day to have this done. It was too cold for them to be outside and Zig could stay in our bedroom all day and recuperate since I had the day off.

I was at the bank depositing my pay check when my cell rang about forty five minutes later.

"Come and get 'em!"

It took them a while to bring Ziggy out, there were at least fifteen people waiting now but pulled right up next to the van to get my patient. They finally brought him out and Doc helped hoist him into the back seat as Ziggy tee tee'd his way onto the seat. He looked groggy but okay besides peeing on my sister's car seat. An assistant came over with his meds and a pee pad (a little late) but gave me all my instructions, told me he had tested negative for heartworms and gave me a years supply of preventative, all shots were now up to date, handed me his rabies tag and sent us on our way for just a hundred twenty bucks. That's an awesome deal.

Granted he didn't stay there to totally recover from anesthesia, but where better to be than home once given the all clear?

He paced in the back seat the entire way obviously complaining about me duping him into thinking it was gonna be a really fun field trip when in fact they cut his buddies off but at least it was done.

I put the car in park in front of my garage door when he spewed his guts out over the urine he placed not ten minutes before on my sister's leather seats.

It took a while to get him upstairs and once locked in my bedroom had the other two idiots laying right outside the door wanting to know what was going on and how did he enjoy the strippers?

I called my sister and told her about Ziggy's one hour snip. She asked me if they just made him bite on a bullet?

The first day he wouldn't even come out from under our bed. I'm not sure if he was hurting or pouting, probably a little of both.

The second day he came out from under the bed to lay in the floor in front of the TV. (just like a man)

The third day he jumped up onto the bed. No easy feat with stitches in your crotch but was a good sign.

We've kept the other two dogs away from him just to let him heal and the boy is coming along nicely.

Not really looking forward to a repeat of all this next Thursday when I fake another appointment for Charlie, our bull dog but has to be done.

Ham will go last.

I dread the thought of taking a totally blind dog to an unfamiliar place with thirty other dogs and cats yapping and meowing but will simply bite the bullet myself. It lowers the chance of cancer and other problems in male dogs and are way too many unwanted pups in the world.

Ziggy's behavior totally has changed and all for the better. I told my sister last night neutering either helped or now know he needs to be on a twice daily dosage of Tramadol.




On different note...

Tim leaves tomorrow for Texas. He'll be gone at least a year if not more. He bought some plastic bins today and is loading up the little Ranger and heading out in the morning for his thousand mile drive.



These past few years have been a test for us both, not to mention our kids. Deep financial problems make it hard for a married couple to remain blissfully happy and we've certainly proven that point.

We're still faced with car problems. He leaves in the morning driving the only running vehicle we own, a twenty five year old Ford Ranger. If he gets five hundred miles without breaking down will consider it a good omen. If he makes it all the way will be a miracle.




I suggested the above idea to Tim if he does break down.



Our two boys took Tim out for a send off dinner (appropriately enough) at Texas Road House tonight. Massey had gone back to school this afternoon and I met them all at there after work.

We've had great times, we had good times and been through some really rough times but have always done it together.

Tim finally got the well earned  reprieve he's been waiting for.

A great job and thousand mile buffer from my sarcastic, extremely quick witted and seemingly always right / left wing mouth and opinion.

He's doing this for our family. He's doing this because he loves us and doing this because we are lucky enough to have a man like him for our husband, father and provider.



He has no hesitation about getting in a quarter century year old truck and heading to the pan handle of Texas. We needed and wanted to move ahead, Tim got an offer to if willing to relocate so gratefully accepted, bought some plastic bins to pack up his clothes and is driving to our next stepping stone.



I so vividly remember the above photo and day. We were in love, happy and on the top of the world.

For over twenty years we constantly moved ahead, had three awesome kids all uniquely different far from perfect but make us pretty proud each and every day. Even when they screw up.


Tim completely started over at the age of fifty one from scratch in an industry he's worked in for over thirty years.

Tim has integrity.


I'll stay here and try to fix up our house which will be paid for in less than two years. A good pressure washing, freshly painted shutters and new roof will cover the outside of the house. The rest will require a lot more but we're no quitters, not by a long shot!



Worried about Tim's long drive in a short truck but will keep the faith. That's all you can do sometimes and for over five years has worked for us.


I know and realize we are still luckier than millions and millions and millions of people. That's why I think we have a really good chance!

Til next time...COTTON

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah, Kelly, always a treat to read your posts...makes me smile, makes me laugh, makes me feel, makes me grateful, inspires me, and makes me love you even more!