Monday, September 29, 2014

Hump Day

Woke up feeling pretty good. I got tons done around the house last night. Bathrooms were scrubbed sparkling clean, all the laundry got finished and put away and got the kitchen in tip top shape before soaking in a hot tub and tumbling into a freshly made up bed with clean sheets.

Only hit the snooze button twice this morning and even had time for some toast and OJ before leaving thirty minutes early for work.

It was gonna be a fabulous day!

Rolled into the MARTA lot and spent fifteen minutes looking for a spot to park. Not a good sign. I even drove to the back of the lot since was early but had no luck there either. It was raining anyway so just decided to cut my losses and drive around Loop Rd. to park at the International Terminal for $12. It's almost worth the money because once you park your car are through security and on the job site in five minutes. The shuttle taking us to the drop off only had four on it and all were employees. I spotted a penny on the floor between the seats. I had to put my peepers on to see if it was on heads before picking it up. It was, so stuffed it in my shoe for good luck and a good shift. One of the employees on the shuttle had on a uniform just like the little Asian lady who I've encountered on my commute who talks to herself loudly and obviously has OCD. As we got off the shuttle together I asked her if she knew a tiny little Asian woman who talked to herself? She immediately said "You talking about Hong Kong?" Guess she knew her and now I kinda even knew her name.

It's so much more convenient parking at International but twelve dollars is a lot to someone like me and twelve dollars was all I currently had to my name. Payday is Wednesday at midnight and would be flush but was just squeaking by until then by the seat of my tiny size one pants.

Good thing I'm used to it.

It was slow when I got there and quickly got all my opening stuff done. It was still slow so decided to take my break and walk across the food court to eat for free so I'd be all fueled up and ready to go.

The perks of my new job are great. I got two chili steaks, fries and a large coke from the Varsity and ate while keeping an eye on the front door of the restaurant making sure it was still slow and wasn't missing anything.

Literally the minute I walked back in the restaurant and clocked in, we began to fill up. We had a nice little pop with  two big Amsterdam and Paris flights departing. Things settled down after that and when was in the back bringing up some plates the sous chef while talking with the pastry chef, said to me "I need to tell you something later".

I'm feeling much better about my life but the minute anyone says something that like to me still get that panicked feeling, thinking yet another shoe is dropping. I immediately stopped and said "Is it bad?"

 He waved his hand, said it wasn't with a pleasant look on his face and  felt that penny in my shoe doing it's job!

He came up to me later and said had wanted to tell me he had met my little buddy, now known as Hong Kong on the MARTA train on his way into work. Just like me had first thought she was talking on a blue tooth but noticed when she turned her head didn't have one, or even a cell phone. He  said she talked loudly the entire ride with no one in particular (well actually no one) but seemed really intent on getting her point across.

When things slowed down I showed him the video of her the day she rode with me and had her purse zipping episode.


I think the thing I admire about her most is she is obviously living in a foreign country with no language skills but still manages to have and navigate her way to and from a job five days a week.

That's why we are the greatest country in the world. You wanna work? America will hire you and get you get a job. It may not be the best job but will be light years ahead of where you came from and how you not only lived but were treated.

The other thing I love about this job is the fascinating people I get to wait on. I had a couple tonight leaving for Africa. They were going to a conservatory for orphaned lions and taking care of four cubs whose mother had been shot and killed. They would also have baby gorillas and elephants there under the same circumstances.

How cool is that?

That's MY kind of ultimate vacation!

I had another couple leaving for Paris. They were from Switzerland and after talking with them learned about their Maine Coon cats.



You have got to kidding  me. This is a house cat?

The couple I waited on from Switzerland had five of them!

Every day is a new adventure at the International Terminal. I'm meeting people from all over the world and learning their stories. It absolutely fascinates me.

Got home tonight early, was pretty slow at work but still walked out making over two hundred dollars. I was surfing the net and came across this comment from someone on Trip Adviser about the restaurant where I work.

5 of 5 starsReviewed September 24, 2014NEW
We had some time waiting for our flight and Ecco was recommended. Nice wine list. cured meats and cheeses. Fried goat cheese with honey and black pepper.. Braised beef stuffed piquello pepper (TJs recommendation). What a way to start a vacation...with TJ!
  • Visited September 2014
    • 5 of 5 starsValue
    • 5 of 5 starsAtmosphere
    • 5 of 5 starsService
    • 5 of 5 starsFood
Was this review helpful?Yes



 I thought this was pretty awesome. Not only was it good for the  restaurant but was good to see TJ making his mark too.

Tumbling into those fresh sheets again, getting up at six thirty AM, battling the commute but will be off by six PM at the latest. Cooking a home cooked meal if my stove hasn't gone on strike from lack of use and doing it one more time. Then have two days off, all to myself and even in a row.

How did I get so lucky?


My life is great!

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: