Monday, April 21, 2014

I Can Remember When I Thought Thirty Was Old

When I was a little kid my momma had an older brother who was in his early thirties or as I thought, "Middle Aged."

That's certainly a hoot considering in the matter of just three months I'll be turning fifty four and still consider MYSELF middle aged. Heck, my sister is sixty one and still think of her as middle aged.

Unless scientists make some pretty drastic advancements or discoveries, I'm as off the mark as when I was a little kid. Boy, THAT'S kinda a bummer.

Concepts are so different when you're a kid. I occasionally see people from our childhood who we considered  old then. Problem is they look exactly the same to me now. Did they just look old in their forties when I was a kid or do you get a free pass if you made it through WWII?

There is an orchestra teacher who taught in the elementary school I attended in the sixties. She came into the restaurant where I work now but the minute I saw her knew exactly who she was, even remembered her hobbling little style of walking as she tottered over to a table.

She looked EXACTLY the same to me. We go visit our childhood church every once in a while and all the old peeps I remember look exactly the same as well. Did people pickle better in the sixties?

I'll run into people I went to high school with and sometimes have no idea who they are.

I attribute it to the fact that times simply aren't as great as they were when I was a kid.

Actually I'm surprised when people see me again after three or four decades and know who I am. I've aged more in the past five years than I would like. My hair's going gray and have even more wrinkles than gray.

I always say money is over rated but that's probably because we don't have much. My husband got screwed in a bad business venture and our spiral started. It was horrible at first but made it through with so much help from others that it almost embarrasses me.


When life hands you lemons you make lemonade. When you can't even afford the lemonade you tend to let your sour attitude suffice. We didn't have to. Although it's been hard and sometimes harder, we've survived and is a lot better than some people have it.

I was at work tonight and stepped out back to make a phone call around four thirty. The guy who washes dishes pulled into the parking lot. He got out of a really nice huge Ford F-1 pickup.

Dang, I don't even HAVE a car! But then started thinking...

This guy works two full time jobs and a part time job washing dishes and doubt his full time jobs are much more pleasant.

 Yes he has a nice ride and I bum rides, but am four years away from owning our house free and clear.

 Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture.

It's not a mansion but guarantee you is nicer than the place he parks his F-1 when he has time to drop by.

Tim is at his wit's end but has never given up or in. He spends at least two or three hours every day searching for a full time job and have full confidence God will make it happen soon.

All three of my kids are working now and don't have to help them out...well every once in a while but that's what parents do. My parents helped me out so much it was ridiculous.

We're hanging tough and doing okay. I don't drive a huge shiny truck, or own any vehicle at all but I don't work three jobs either. I think I like my life better.



I hope one day I'll run into someone from my childhood and when they say "You haven't changed one bit!" I'll be able to ask them how much time they have?

Yes my life has changed but even when I thought it was going the wrong way, it was just a detour.

We may be waiting on a miracle but have no doubt all will be okay. God's got this.


I have a husband who for the life of me can't figure out why he stays with my crazy self but does. I have three great kids all doing wonderful things. I have three pups who never ask one question or complain even if their  food is one day late  and two sibs who care for me like the baby sister I am.

Vehicles are over rated too. Love is all you need and we have plenty.

Til next time, COTTON



No comments: