Saturday, February 1, 2014

Sometimes Serving is Spectacular (except for the corns on my pinkie toes)

At this point in my life and career (yes, serving IS a career)  have learned to never expect but always appreciate. I've had shifts when  I've gone in and couldn't catch a break if I had a wash tub in my arms. Other shifts peeps just simply seem to love me. It's just like any other commission based sales job. I consider myself a sales and marketing person. It didn't help we were closed two days this week because of weather and was kinda starting to freak out. Tim's still looking for steady work and we're starting to slip behind. Not major behind but sure don't want that again. I'm a worrier by nature. I prefer to consider myself a constantly concerned woman who obviously enjoys wrinkles and gray hair.

I went into work today after barking out marching orders to all the Lost Boys before leaving the house. Some men need direction. (whether they know it or not)

I was kinda worried because Super Bowl weekend is death for a restaurant unless it's a Hooters or sports bar and sure don't have hooters, I barely have Itty Bittys.

I clocked in at three thirty and had the floor to myself. The other servers were working double shifts and going on break. In less than ten minutes I had four tables and it just kept going. The hostesses are all high school girls and worry about over loading me. I told them not to worry I'd let them know when to stop seating me.I had people who loved having a funny waitress! I had time to get one order into the kitchen and take out salads before the next table sat down

I kept worrying (as usual) that my luck would run out. Sometimes you start out like gang busters and  end up limping home with peanuts.

The tipping gods smiled on me all night long and every single table I had was awesome. The people were wonderful, easy to please and all seemed pleased with me.

I really don't know if I am geared for anything but waiting tables and writing a blog. I enjoy both and both make me feel very satisfied with myself.

I logged onto my blog tonight when I got home and saw I was eleven hits away from  90,000 views. I'm not making any money off  it but feels fabulous to know other peeps are interested in what I write.

Once we get past this latest stumbling block I am going to start in earnest to try and get my blog promoted or find someone who may want me to write a column. Tim's always said I have my PHD in BS, maybe it's time to put it to use other than entertaining diners.

I'm all excited about Sunday. I'll open the brunch shift then be cut early because he has later peeps coming in to work until he closes at four. I can make a buck, swing by the store and come home to make potato skins, nachos and hot wings. I'm not a football fan but like eating potato skins, nachos and hot wings.

If I can keep this lucky streak at work going, we'll be caught up by next week and can breathe a sigh of relief.

If it doesn't happen, I'll just keep on keeping on. One thing I have learned over the past five years is that slow and steady wins the race. Another great thing I have learned is prayer is a powerful tool.  A really important thing I have learned is that my husband is the most tolerant person on the face of the earth and feel blessed he hasn't killed me in my sleep. (totally kidding, kinda)

I wear my heart on my sleeve. I say what I feel and don't mind if it bothers others. If it does, just don't read my blog.

This world is in desperate need of  more people who care and less people who complain and do nothing.

I'm almost fifty four, not doing too well financially but  still manage to laugh every day. Sometimes I do get depressed but then think about millions and millions of others who haven't been lucky like us.

I have a network of family, friends, customers and employers who care about us and  never hesitated when we needed help. I have three kids who are happy and healthy. I have three dogs who have been taken care of by people who are pup lovers like me. I wake up every morning with the ability to go at it for another day.

In the grand scheme of life, I am so lucky it often makes me wonder why?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."

People have never looked down on us because we have so little, but have helped us because they have a little more.

I like to be funny but I also like to be real. I read a quote from Conan O'Brien tonight on a friend's FB wall which made perfect sense to me:

"Work hard, be kind to others and amazing things will happen."

Life has been amazing for us. Not always the way we wanted but has always happened.

Count your blessings, name them one by one and you'll be amazed what The Lord has done!

Waking up tomorrow, doing it again and if that don't work will wake up the next day and give it another shot!

Never give up, never give in.

Til next time COTTON

No comments: