Monday, March 4, 2013

Never Pre Judge...EVER

The weekend is over. I'm back to being a server for the next five days. Massey leaves for New York on Wednesday and can already feel  the lump building in my throat.

Worked at  the furniture store on Saturday and Sunday. It was slow Saturday but at least I sold a couple of things...better than striking out completely. I thought it was cold Saturday and like an idiot forgot to wear an extra pair of socks. Massey brought me some at lunch but by then my tootsies were already popsicles and refused to thaw. Sunday was even colder but I wore my sock tights and two pair of socks.

 It started out slow and sometimes you just feel like you're never going to sell anything when some random person  comes in and wanders around telling you they just want to look around. I let them wander and give them space but make sure I am near by in case they WANT to buy. Some simply make one walk around the store and leave. A young couple came in and meandered around the store. I thought to myself..."Here we go again" but smiled and greeted them warmly. They stopped by  the mattresses and started looking in  earnest. I wandered up and told them to give one a test drive. They went over to the biggest most expensive mattress we had, a king size memory foam. They both settled back onto it and I gave them my best sales pitch...which is weak at best,  in  this early stage of the game of my furniture career.

Guess what? They  bought it!

Then another random guy came in saying he was just killing time while his wife was in a meeting. We have a lot of fake palms and tall plants in wicker baskets that we mostly just arrange around the furniture as decoration. He went straight to one after making a full circle around the store. He asked if they were for sell and I answered yes. He said he owned an event center and the plants would be perfect for his facility. They were $49 a piece and he picked out five.

BINGO!

Here's the thing...when you are in sales or even if you're not, never pre judge. I read a comment in the local paper a while back. A guy wrote in and said "If you want a good tip don't treat me like a bad tipper."  He was exactly right.  So I'm kinda getting the hang of this new job and feel much more relaxed at my old job now that I have two days away from it.

I was at  the restaurant tonight when Massey called and said I had a package from Amazon delivered to the house and could she please open it? I had no idea what it could be but as long as they didn't ask for money when they dropped it off, told her she could open it.  It was from a blog reader. Eight pair of toe and foot warmers. The note included read "To keep  your feet warm while selling furniture!! From Jerry and Dee Dee."
How awesome is that?

 Tonight was slow at  the restaurant but had a few regulars and walked out with ninety bucks to put in the bank.

I've never been a server who judges customers. Some servers detest waiting on blacks, some detest waiting on rednecks and some detest waiting on people of mid eastern descent. To me a customer is a customer and all deserve the same service. If you do your job and win them over with great service, product and a feeling that you genuinely care about their experience, nine times out of ten it works in your favor.

Now I realize this also transcends into any sales market.

So I'm in sales and marketing, whether selling food or furniture and mattresses. You have to give it your all, give it your best shot and hope to come out on the upside of the gamble of being in sales.

I'm digging my new job and kinda sorta am almost doing good at it! Maybe not raising the roof but representing!

I am getting a lot more sleep and rest. I am feeling human again and my family has noticed and appreciated the change.

On the panicked side of life I am letting Massey leave on Wednesday without me to head to New York city. I paid for the trip but told her she had to raise her own spending money. Wouldn't you know it...she raised the money and now I have to let her go.

 My boss at  work tonight didn't make me feel any better when he said "You know New York makes Atlanta look like Newnan." (The city we live in)

Just like a seventeen year old she has spent some of her spending money on things to take with her. Just like the thinker I am have solved the problem. I told her to leave me two deposit slips for her credit union. She has plenty of money for the first two days and I am working at the restaurant every day this week. I will deposit money into her account on Thursday to give her a little more money.

This is the chance of a lifetime for her. Going to one of the biggest, busiest cities in the world. She has paid her dues, struggled  along with us through our financial difficulties and hasn't complained as much as I would at the age of seventeen.

Life seems to be taking an upward turn around and that in it's self is a great feeling. My brother and sister have helped and I would hate to see  the tab I have run up with them but hope they know how much  they both mean to me AND my kids.

My oldest is on the other side of the world, my younger son has  finally smelled  the roses and doing great. My youngest is a girl...my best friend and it's hard to let her go but I will.

I will go to bed tonight knowing I have one more night with her tomorrow. Then she will be gone as I work a double shift at the restaurant. Zach is taking her to breakfast and dropping her off at school on Wednesday while I head into work for a double shift.

I am sure she will be fine, and have the time of her young life but it's hard for a momma to let the chicks fly out of the nest.

How did I get so old so soon that my youngest is ready to flap away?

This is a pic of Massey and Zach on Halloween. I wish I could send Zach in his Ninja suit to New York to take care of my princess but I can't.

I'll take a leap of faith, I'll trust everything will be okay.

Dang, being a momma is much harder than I planned. Makes being a salesperson seem like a walk in the park!

Have fun little girl and take lots of pictures. I'm already thinking about when I wrap my arms around you when you get back!

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: