Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Cold Sale

So I started my third weekend at my new part time gig. It's nice to be doing something different two days a week and after the week I had at the restaurant was sorta like a paid vacation. I'm selling furniture at a discount/no frills store. Low overhead, low prices and even lower temps. The place doesn't have heat which is fine when people walk in out of the cold and wind already bundled up  to spend a few minutes looking around. When you are there for ten hours, weigh ninety nine pounds and  a sissy when it comes to cold weather, you better be prepared.

I layered up every where but my feet. I was fine from the ankles up but forgot to put on some thick socks. I wore sock  tights under my jeans but like a dummy didn't put socks on over them. I won't be doing that again in this weather. Tootsie issue solved.

I like working there. The people I work with are nice as can be and very helpful to me.  As for my part...I'm learning something totally new and am pretty  much there for entertainment purposes between customers. A couple came in the store today who are regulars at the restaurant where I work. On their way out they stopped and looked at me for a few awkward seconds before asking where they knew me from? When I told him, he said he wasn't used to seeing me standing still.

LIGHT BULB! I'm gonna have to use one job  to network the other! I can do  the crazy  frenetic thing five days a week and the slower paced two days a week.  If I can keep  this up just a few more weeks I may be able to have a day to myself once a week. One day off is all I need...for now.

I wasn't on fire like last weekend but had two customers pick up items from last week and five minutes before closing had a woman come back and purchase a nice sized sale she had looked at  a couple of hours before. So I wasn't a total loser and have tomorrow to go  at it again.

I have my clothes all laid out...extra socks and my long trench coat with the wool lining. Like a dummy I wore my short leather jacket today.

It's different, but a good different. The more I learn the more I will be able to confidently sell. It took two hours for my feet to warm up when I got home but the pups were happy to see me.  The kids and Tim all asked about my day. I think this may work out just fine.

I'm heading to rest early, running on fumes. Like the health nut I am, have pizza rolls in the oven and three pups waiting for me to join them on the couch underneath a nice warm blanket. I have one more day to go and then have a day to myself.

It's crazy  the things you  are able to do when you have a family. It's a lot easier when family realizes what you  are doing for them and not only pitch in but pump you up.

Trying again tomorrow...in two pairs of socks!

Til next time...COTTON



No comments: