Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ten Days Til Takeoff

TJ spent the weekend with us. Well he spent most of it with his brother and sister. I worked all weekend and was gone more than I was home. It was still nice spending time with him before I went to work and seeing him spending time with his brother and sister when I  came back home.

I know from experience how it is to be one of three sibs. When you're really little you all get along. Once the oldest hits middle school the younger two become idiots and a nuisance. When  the oldest gets their license they have their escape...just borrow the car to get away.

TJ graduated high school with great grades and began at Georgia State University. Unfortunately he also joined a Frat. His Big Brother got to select his Halloween costume that year.

Not a good idea.

Then he decided to take a semester off and work...Terrible idea.

He worked full time and made a little money but told him if he didn't get back in school that's exactly what he'd still be doing when he was my age...making a little money.

Then he met girl. Then they moved in together. Even a worse idea.

Then they bought a puppy together named Charlie,  who cost more than a used car. Horrible idea.

Then they broke up and TJ moved  back home with Charlie in tow. TJ won the nasty custody battle and Charlie became a Cotton.

I didn't want or need another dog but seriously, who could refuse THIS face? Before TJ moved back home we had rescued our Dog, Ham.

Let me tell you, an English Bulldog and an Old English Bulldog /Boxer mix aren't great friends right off the bat when they are both male and still have their nuts. They can DRIVE you nuts! We had many a dog fight. Ham was docile but Charlie was a brat who had been spoiled by his mama and daddy,  never been  around other dogs and certainly never learned the word 'share' or 'play nice.' Ham outweighed him by twenty pounds and towered over him but Charlie was "The Man" in his own tiny mind and got his butt whooped again and again and again and was always ready for more. We went through tube after tube of  antibiotic cream and bottles of hydrogen peroxide trying to heal Charlie's face . Tim gave him the nick name, Scarface.

Then TJ moved out again and ole Chucky stayed. At least he had a huge yard and another dog to play with.

We kinda nudged TJ out that last time. It was when we were in a desperate position and it was time for him to stand on his own.

He did it! He survived, he got a pretty good job which led to an even better job and most probably made more money than me.

Here's the thing. When sibs are together all the time they sometimes bicker and fight. Split them up and they become closer and closer and closer. The time they DO get to spend together seems important. The time they are away from each other just gives them more to talk about when they do meet up.

My three have come full circle.  They were close, then they weren't. Then two got close and the other was on the outside. Then it switched the other way.

Now TJ is leaving for the land down under in  ten days and all three are thick as thieves. They sit for hours talking. They watch  movies together,  they go out to eat  together,  they do nothing together.

They are simply being together and enjoying it.

That's the kind of thing that makes a momma proud. That's the kinda thing that makes working crazy  hours tolerable. That's the kind of thing that tells me  they were all listening to my constant lectures when they were young,  even though  they were all rolling their eyes like I didn't see them.

I may not have raised rocket scientists but I raised three good kids.  They all love each other and in today's society that's quite an accomplishment.

They are all  three smart and loving. They all three care about other and this earth. They all three have the ability to do amazing things.

My money is on my kids.  Granted I don't have any money, but if that was the price to pay for having  three amazing young adults all under my roof one last time and not only witness but feel the love between them all...I'd do it again in a heartbeat




We'll take care of Charlie while TJ does what what I wish I had done when single and in my twenties.

Go see the world.

College isn't for everyone but world is! He's smart and good looking. He has a great heart, works hard and has my blessings. I have full confidence in TJ.  Go Gettum Kid!!

One down two to go!!

Til next  time...COTTON











No comments: