Sunday, January 6, 2013

Not a Fan of Winter...That's Why I Live in the South

I know it doesn't help  I am at least fifteen pounds under my fighting weight but neither does all this cold weather...and don't even get me started on the wind and the rain, and I live in the deep south! I don't know how they do it way up north. They must make clothes thicker there because when I get home from work at night am cold for at least thirty minutes after I get into the house. I usually don't take my coat off for at  least an hour. Granted my house is sealed about as tight as a colander but I have towels stuffed under every exterior door and scream at  the kids constantly, "Shut the door for Pete's sake" as they stand to talk to me with  the door wide open. I keep the heat on  68 degrees but have two small space heaters I keep  by  the front and back door to help with the wind that blows through the doors.

We bought our house brand new sixteen years ago but it was obviously built by either idiots or extremely drunk shoddy  workers. We  were just so excited to be be buying our first brand new home that we really overlooked a lot of flaws. As  the years went by we noticed more and more. I've used a lot of duct tape and fixed the  things I could but it's like we live in a wind tunnel in  the winter months and a hot house in  the summer. At least it's ours (or it will be in less than four years) so we just make do.

 My Diddy  bought our house on Bayard Street the year I was born for $15,000. It was sealed tight as a drum.  We never replaced a furnace, never needed air conditioning, every room had at least three big windows and a huge attic fan kept air flowing during the summer months. He never had to replace a stove or oven (they were separate in those days...at least at  our house) and the screened in back porch  had storm windows he put up every winter.  If you  put a space heater out there it was a comfortable place to be even in cold weather. He never had to replace our washer or dryer. He never had to replace our refrigerator or dishwasher.  We have had to replace or fix every  single one of these things in the sixteen years we have lived in our "Brand new house."

"They  just don't make things like they used to." I used to always wonder what they meant by  that but now I know  and ain't THAT the truth!

It rained from Christmas Day  til New Year's Day and I felt like the sun would never shine again. I hate to keep  griping but it's feeling good so I will continue.

How do People live in Seattle or Oregon? They must have a phenomenal suicide rate.  Wind I hate, it makes me skitter across  the parking lot on the way to my car  but can wear  a hat and scarf and carry a big rock  so I won't blow way. I dress in layers for the cold but the rain just depresses the crap out of me. It makes me feel like God is mad at  us for something.

I like it when the sun is beating down on me.  I already suffer  from hot flashes so it's nothing new to me to sweat. I like cutting grass and pulling weeds. I love my weed eater and he makes my yard look so nice and trim. I could ride my Johnny Dear all day long and often have.

Guess I'll  have to just struggle through a few more months of this cold weather. I wear a skirt with tights to work. I get home and keep on  the skirt and tights and put on my flannel PJ pants over them both once I finally take off my coat. I put on my bedroom shoes and get one of the pups to lay on my feet as I type away on my computer.

Hate is an ugly word so guess I will  say I highly dislike cold weather. I go to bed with my tights and flannels on and peel them off during the night as the hot flashes warm me up. I wake up and get into a hot shower,  thanks to our second hot water heater in  less than ten years. I head into work with my hat scarf and gloves on. I drink enough coffee  to keep me warm at work until a hot flash hits and then I switch  to water.

All I am saying is that winter is just not for me. I can enjoy one big  snow, it's pretty and seems to make the world  seem  so silent that it is a beautiful  thing to witness.

That  little groundhog better come out next  month and make me happy with his prediction because winter isn't a skinny old woman's friend.

If Tim could just find a job in Key  West...

Til next time...Cold COTTON


No comments: