Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Good Night Off

I work every weekend night. Tonight was the exception and an excellent decision. Massey was selected for the district Honor Chorus from her school. She wears me out but fills my heart.

She spent yesterday and today learning and memorizing four songs with others from our district and they performed tonight. It was an  amazing concert and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Tim went and even Zach. The place was packed and as they announced videos were forbidden, I took my place on the last row of the balcony crouched with my cam corder on. I took it as a mere suggestion.

The chorus filed in, well over one hundred kids...closer to two hundred. Massey walked in and immediately spotted us (me) waving at her and the smile on her face made my heart sing.

I've attended every one of her concerts except one , and I sent Zach  in my place with my cam corder to record it for me. I came home to discover he went with his buddy and they not only sat on the back row but talked throughout the entire concert and video taped every hot girl's face in the auditorium and gave a running commentary  the entire time with Massey's choir as background music to  their montage of random photos  and thoughts about who was a geek and who was a loser.

Tonight was magnificent!

She was selected for Honor Chorus from our school district and the concert certainly didn't disappoint. As we waited for the doors to open I asked the woman working the event if I could video tape and she said it was prohibited. I started to ask "Even for Cotton's?" but decided on "If it was your daughter's senior year and she had never been selected before , would you  tape it?" She wavered her head and looked away with a smile which to me said "Sit on the back row and keep  the camera low."

OH MY GOSH...When the first sounds came out of their mouths I started crying. It was glorious!

I have a girl with some serious talent. I have a girl who is just hitting her stride. I have a girl who is going places.

I leaned against the back wall of the church illegally filming with tears in my eyes. I don't care if I could have made two hundred dollars tonight at work...this was worth every penny.

I'll tell you how good they were, even Zach was impressed.

I went backstage afterwards to find her and hug her neck. We immediately held hands and every thing was perfect in my world. The first  thing she said was "Thank you for taping us when they told you not to."

Massey can wear me out and often does. Then I think back to how I was at her age. No where near as committed, driven or determined. The only direction I had was to go away to college and major in night clubs and dancing.

I'm gonna give Massey a pass on wearing me out because she brings such light and joy to every one she meets. I'm still gonna have to keep tabs on her and reign her in every once in a while but tonight I felt like the luckiest momma on earth...and I am.

Til next  time...COTTON


No comments: