Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Yikes!

Why do I always do this? I've had two days off since Thanksgiving. I have tomorrow off but work a double Friday, Saturday and work Sunday and Monday. I haven't bought the first present. I will have to admit I am getting better. There have been years when I haven't shopped til Christmas Eve. Guess I'm getting somewhat better. I had a last table that sat forever tonight and paid a co worker five bucks to clean and reset it. She refused the money but it was truly helping me (thanks Dayna) and stuffed the five into her apron. I went to Big Lots and bought a couple of stocking stuffers and some tins for baked goods.

I have my game plan for tomorrow all mapped out and written down. I'm using my two hundred dollar bonus from work and making it happen come hell or high water. First on the list is the store I call "Ross Mess For Less." It's a disorganized mess and you have to hunt for  right sizes which are always misplaced but  a great bargain store.

All my kids are old enough to know we ain't rich and there ain't no Santa. That helps tremendously.

The kids are getting clothes. Zach is getting shoes...his one pair look pitiful and are actually ones I bought at  Ross LAST year!

I don't say any of this to sound pitiful because we are far from it. I say it to inspire others who have been in the same place. Keep fighting!  Two years ago we WERE pitiful. We were six months behind on our mortgage, both had been out of work and were on food stamps.

This year we are only eight weeks behind on our mortgage and current on most all bills. In this economy...I call that a WIN! It's been tough road, but to  catch up from six months behind to only eight weeks seems phenomenal to me. I have a great husband who is now totally gray headed but still good looking and for some crazy reason still loves me. I still have three kids. I still have a house. I have a dog who would have died without help from many generous friends. I have family that helps me time and time and time again. I am lucky and blessed person.

We have many mirrors in  the restaurant where I work. I see myself in them as I am taking orders  and see an old, tired woman. Yes it's disheartening to see how thin I am and how much I have aged...but at least I am aging. The alternative is very unappealing...face up in a box six feet under.

Here's the real deal about Christmas. I give money  to the bell ringers from Salvation Army every time I see  them. On the way into store and on the way out. I'm no saint, far from it but give myself a rating of seven on a scale of ten. I will have all three of my kids here this Christmas. My sister and her husband are coming along with her two sons and their girlfriends. My brother is coming...probably reluctantly and I don't blame him but he likes my cooking and he is in charge of Bloody  Mary's.

I made enough money  tonight to buy a ham and fixings! We're having ham, potato salad, deviled eggs, my famous macaroni and cheese, asparagus casserole and baked beans with bacon. Making yummy Jalapeno squares with artichoke hearts and parmesan cheese. Toll house cookies and Rice Krispie Treats.

No one is getting a car or a fur coat. My brother would get both if we could afford it. We are simply going to have a wonderful day in usual "Leach"  style. Making fun of each other, enjoying a great meal and telling stories about our crazy  family...who I love with my whole heart.

Christmas will be just fine, I have no doubt.

I do, however think about how Christmas will be in well over twenty homes in Connecticut. We don't have much  money  but still have each other. What they lost is priceless and can never be replaced. My gift to each and every one of them (small but heartfelt) is  they are in my thoughts and constantly in my prayers.

They will never get over it but simply have to learn how to live with it.

"Charlotte, Daniel, Rachel, Olivia, Josephine, Ana, Dylan, Dawn, Madeleine, Catherine, Chase, Jessie, James, Grace, Anne, Emilie, Jack, Noah, Caroline, Jessica, Avielle, Lauren, Mary, Victoria, Benjamin and Allison ... Rest in God's Arms and know you are in all our hearts."

Getting up and doing it again!  COTTON








No comments: