Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Road to Recovery is Painful

Zach and I loaded up Ham today and headed for his much  awaited "quick kill" for heart worms.

As we sat in the waiting room aka known as the parking lot,  Zach walked Ham around and he did his "Bidness." There's  lots of stuff to sniff at  when hundreds and hundreds of dogs have walked around the same area.

The vet  came out of the mobile clinic and saw me sitting on the curb. He said "Ready for the heart worm treatment?" He was amazed last week when I told him I had enough donations to go ahead with the quick kill. Last week  he commented how I must have really good friends and seeing me back today must have let him know that Ham has friends who come through.

I was a nervous wreck. I haven't been that nervous since Massey had tubes put in her ears. I was afraid he would say Ham was too far gone or that treatment was futile. He came right over and asked Ham if he was ready? He asked me if Ham had a good temperament and I replied "The best."

I told him Ham was a gentle giant and he said "He's a big one...let me change needles."

He came back out into  the parking lot, gave Ham a good dosing of rubbing alcohol down his back side and I held Ham's head while Zach held his hind quarters. The vet  put his hands on Ham's back and outloud counted out as his fingers went down each vertebrae or rib. (I didn't ask which)

He took the needle and plunged it in. Ham immediately sat down and he said "No Ham, you have to stand up for this." He started again and Zach held Ham's hind quarters up as the doc shot the needle into my dog's heart. I felt like a needle was going into my own heart. Yes he is a dog but he is MY dog and a wonderful, wonderful dog. From the time we adopted him as a young pup until today he has never done one wrong thing...literally. He quivered and I quivered but the injection was over in four seconds. The doc went back into his mobile clinic and came out with two bottles of pills. He said Ham would be in pain and to give him two Tramadol as soon as we got home. I started to ask the doc for extra ones for me.

Ham started acting like he felt bad about halfway home ...which is a ten minute car  ride. We got  home and left the other two idiots (although I love them too,  aren't conducive to  total relaxation)  out back. They were excited to see Ham come back home.

 Thank goodness I made mac&cheese last night with shells. I tucked two Tramadol's in a cheesy shell and held it out for him to sniff. He took it from me gently. Then I tucked two antibiotics into another cheesy shell and after sniffing (he can't see) trusted me and ate that one too.

He has never liked to be closed into a room but spent the entire night til I got home from work in Massey's room at  the foot of her bed...with the door closed. It got cold out and they had to let the other pups in. When I got home from work Ham heard me and was waiting at Massey's door.  I took him out back on a leash and he did his "Bidness" once again.

I was worried he would die before I got home from work. (I'm a worrier) But he didn't and although I can tell he feels bad, he's hanging in there.

When we left the mobile unit today, the vet said "He needs the next  injection tomorrow and I will be in Carroll county. Do you need directions?"

I was supposed to open and close the restaurant on Friday. Yes Zach could take him, but as Ham's momma "I" needed to be there. I got to work tonight and another server offered to pick up my morning shift. I didn't realize the next  shot would be so soon, but "HEY" the sooner the better!

In the morning I am headed to Carroll county only ten miles away. My pup is getting what he needs and I will be there for him...just like he has been  there for me.

Ham may have heart problems but I don't... (YET)

Unless you count how full my heart is that so many people have rallied and taken care of my precious Ham when I couldn't afford to. My heart is pumping at full volume and my "Momma Instincts" have me nervous.

Thanks to many and thanks to many prayers, Ham is on the road to recovery. I think I will sleep down here tonight snuggled up with my "Hammer."

Once again...there is a reason DOG is GOD spelled backwards. Unconditional love and no questions asked.

Thank you... and Thank you to everyone who has helped my dog.
It sounded silly when I typed that last sentence but if you  could only meet Ham, you would know. He's a better dog than I am a person...at least in my mind.

Continue the prayers please..

Til next  time...A dog loving COTTON

No comments: