Tuesday, December 18, 2012

My life is Destined to be a Sitcom

So I go into work at ten thirty to open. Balls to the wall right off the bat. We had a party of ten sit down, then a party of  five, then a twenty top. It was insane. Can I say I am tired of seeing Christmas sweaters?

I got off around four and called home. Massey answered and said Ziggy got out of  the yard again. I told her to put Zach on the phone and he said he walked the yard twice and couldn't find a hole. I told him I had to go to the bank and get gas but then we would go to Home Depot and get SOMETHING. I wasn't sure what we would get but I gotta keep the little sh*t in the yard.

I got home and let all three pups out back. Two minutes later I heard Ziggy scratching at the kitchen door leading to the garage. I let him back in and out the other door into  the back yard.One minute later he was back around to  the front of the house . I told Zach I thought he was getting out through the peep hole my brother in law  put in the new gate so we got the staple gun and covered the peep hole with chicken wire and let the idiots out again. Lasted five minutes. I went out back and saw Ziggy in my neighbor's yard. The chicken wire had been  pushed to one side. At least we knew now where Houdini was escaping. Zach went to the outside of the gate and stapled up more chicken wire. At the same time Zach was stapling up the wire I was in the kitchen watching Ziggy running to the back of the yard and leaping nonstop like a gazelle over the back fence. We have a six foot privacy fence around both sides of our back yard put staked up hog wire across  the back. In the summer the woods grow through it and you can't even see it. In the winter  the dogs trample it down and Ziggy (the inquisitive one) has discovered every weak spot. A big tree fell in the woods last spring during a storm and the hog wire sags in one point where the tree hit it.

My brother in law had replaced my gate but left the old one in my yard. Zach and I carried it to the back of the yard and propped it up over the weak link in the hog wire. Unless Ziggy can jump over six feet....which is a possibility at  the rate he is growing, he's fenced in, for now.

I let all three pups out back and Ziggy streamlined for the back. He got there, looked at the big six foot wooden panel  over his escape route. He turned around and as he slowly headed back I could swear I heard him say "Well crap!"

Work is wearing me out. My dogs are wearing me out. My kids are wearing me out.

Then I think about Newtown.

I am lucky to still have things to bitch about.

Last night at my daughter's Christmas concert,  the chorus teacher asked for a moment of silence for all the victims of the Newtown tragedy. I spent my moment bawling like a baby.

We've had a tough few years but have never had to bury  a child. The thought of doing that is beyond what what my tiny mind can comprehend.

We're having a slim Christmas...but are all here to enjoy what we do have. We have our health, we have family and friends and we have The Big Guy. What more can a person ask for?

I can't even imagine how it feels to lose a child. I've lost both my parents and THAT  almost killed me. My kids have all three tried unknowingly. That's just part of being a kid. (been there done that)

I am a lucky,  lucky woman. I have been blessed beyond belief. And not just me but my family and my pups. My oldest dog is alive because of the kindness of friends and strangers.

We have a beautiful tree in the living room...thanks to friends. I put money into  the Salvation Army pot every  time I go into the grocery store and dump my change back in when I leave.

It seems to me people have forgotten the Golden Rule. It seems  to me people have lost initiative .

Here's the way I think. You get what you give. Make someone else's day and it will come back ten fold.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas...I know we will.

Till next rime...COTTON








No comments: