Sunday, December 2, 2012

It's a Dog's Life


If you follow my blog you'll know what a time I've had with the gate of my privacy fence. First off...Charlie the bulldog ate a hole in between the gates so he could stick his fat head out for a better view.

That was fine until we got little Ziggy...

Little Ziggy, or as we like to call him, Houdini could squeeze through  and often did when he was a little pup. Once he slipped out, Charlie would chew on the opening until he could just squeeze his own fat self out and off they would both go...around the front of the house and both sit by the front door waiting to be let back inside. (Idiots!)

 One night Ham decided to follow them but once out of the gate got lost...he's blind.  Luckily we found him half a mile from home. The next day I put up enough chicken wire, pounded stakes into the ground and nailed up boards to keep them all in the yard. It wasn't very attractive but it did the trick.

My brother in law came over yesterday and started us a new gate. The old one was wide enough to drive a car through. He made this one just wide enough for me to get my "Johnny Dear" through and even made the pups a peep hole so they could see out.

They love it and so do I! It was an early Christmas present and one well needed. The two taller dogs can peer right out. Charlie has to stand up on his front two legs but likes it too.

I love my pups...call me crazy, you won't be the first but  would do anything for these dogs.We are just hanging on here but I have people helping me get Ham's heart worms and eyes taken care of and some of them have never even met me OR Ham. If you are a dog lover you simply understand. Dogs are loyal and love unconditionally. They don't ask for anything but  grateful for everything. They know when you feel down and always make you feel better. They listen to you lament and complain and never interrupt or correct.You are always right and even if you're not, all they do is sigh and wag their tail in affirmation. It's like a free pass.

Here's a perfect example... Ham was sleeping and Ziggy snuggled right up next  to him. They love each other and they love me.

Am I embarrassed I need help to  take care of my pups? Yes, but not as embarrassed as I was two years ago when I had to stand in line and sign up for unemployment, food stamps and medicare for my family and children.Thankfully the government stepped in and helped us as I cried the entire time in every single line I had to stand in. Looking back I realize I have worked since the age of fourteen and paid into  the system for almost forty years before ever withdrawing from it.

Some people may find it embarrassing that I say I was on food stamps and medicare. Well I was...and it got us through. I didn't abuse it (like millions of others) but it helped us tremendously and I am extremely grateful.We're not rolling in the dough but treading water  and it's an awesome feeling.

We are taking care of our family now but just can't take care of our pup's problems. This is where "Pay it Forward" comes into play. For years and years we were a six figure income family. I  helped people time and time again and it felt wonderful.  You know what feels even MORE wonderful? People loving you right back.

It's Karma. It's The Golden Rule... it's quite simply LOVE.

Be a good person, Work hard and show love to others. You reap what you sow. Never be ashamed to accept help when you need it but always  be extremely grateful and  know how to  "Pay it Forward."

Go to the "Dollar Tree" everything in there is one buck. Buy five things and drop them off at a donation point like Salvation Army.  Hold a door open for someone and let them go first. Tell someone to have a great day, or step in when you see someone being treated unfairly.

I believe this will be our greatest Christmas ever. My kids are now all old enough to realize what life is about. It's not about them, it's about everyone!

Hug someone, call a friend you have been thinking about. Bless a random person when they sneeze. Let someone go in front of you in line. Just be nice to people. It has totally worked for me.


Til next  time...A totally blessed COTTON








No comments: