Sunday, October 28, 2012

What Happened to Autumn?

Guess I will be Peter Pan again this year for Halloween... Still have the suit and hat I made and even the green tights. Last night my co workers got all bent because I wasn't dressed up and made me be "Where's Waldo" and plopped a red and white striped cap on my head. They said "At least you  can wear your glasses all night now!" (trying to make an old woman feel even worse) Once forced to play, I called home and had Zach bring me the red and white striped shirt hanging in my closet. Granted wearing my glasses all night helped me see better typing in orders and running credit cards but I am far sighted so trying to walk up steps while loaded down with plates made me feel like I had Vertigo. I had a headache by  the end of the night because I usually only put them on when I need to read something up close. With my glasses on all night the plates of food I ran looked gigantic to me and only made me notice even more how badly I needed to do my nails.

It was an exhausting ten hour shift and I came home and fell into bed. I had to have Massey at her senior picture photo "RE" shoot at 8:30 AM and unfortunately it was going to be 47 degrees.

 Of course I wasn't the one wearing a thin cotton dress under a water fall but she has a lot more meat on her bones and is over thirty five years younger. I thought the first pictures were fine but the woman who made the last ones wasn't happy with the lighting and wanted to take more. I thought it totally unnecessary until she showed me on her digital camera screen  the most amazing picture of Massey I have ever seen. Her eyes have never looked as blue or she more beautiful. The woman, who is one of Massey's former teachers had the coolest most unique ideas for poses. From the way she wanted Massey's hair to way she wanted Massey's hands. If  you ever need pictures contact me and I'll hook you up with this woman. Granted she knows Massey well but has a great eye for detail. After two hours of shivering in my jeans, undershirt, tee shirt, hooded sweater and Massey's Letterman jacket we were through.

I went home with all my layers still on , climbed back into bed and settled in under the comforter. Snoozed for two wonderful warm hours and unfortunately had to get up. Like an idiot I picked up a shift today... on my day off. I gotta make a bank deposit tomorrow and I gotta get this woman a payment for these pictures.  "Typical Cotton"

I did get up from my nap early enough to go by and see my friends in the assisted living home before clocking in.

Massey went with me. We stopped by work and they made us a pizza to take to the wife who said she" Just had a taste for pepperoni pizza."

We found her watching ice skating on TV as we knocked on her door... barged in and announced  "Pizza Delivery!"

This tiny little woman (and I know all about being tiny) wanted us to crank up her bed so she could enjoy a slice. It made me feel good she wanted to eat! She wolfed one slice down which was good to see as I wolfed down three and Massey  two. Her husband is still in a separate room on the other side of the facility but she mentioned if we hurried we could catch her daughter in law who was visiting and missed lunch. When ole peeps boss you around you  are bound by moral law to obey so Massey took the remaining pizza and went to feed her other half and his daughter.

She came back empty handed and said they loved it. She also told me my dear friend's husband said not to leave without stopping by  for a visit. I had bought me and Massey a pizza as well that we ate all but two pieces of so we kissed our friend goodbye and said her better half wanted to see us before I had to go to work.

We walked into his room and at least this time his daughter was there to mute the TV.  I chatted with his daughter and Walter seemed to just be happy hearing conversation in his room. I looked at  the clock and told Massey we needed to go. I had to be at  work in ten minutes.

It's really nothing I am doing for this couple... but something that seems to mean the world to them.

This man flew bomber missions in WWII, his wife served in the Navy. They honored their country, raised kids, had a great life and now the curtain is starting to fall. I told his wife the other day

 "You have already won. Every day a plus, it's a bonus. You are almost ninety two and still look beautiful".. and she really does.

My skinny self can sleep in the morning, don't work til five but as long as Ruth and Walter are just ten minutes away, it would be a shame not to go by.

It is incredible how easy it is to make ole folks happy. We should ALL do it more often. When you are ninety two there's no room for  putting it off. There's no room for excuses...people either love and show their support, or they don't.

We all need to remember that will be "us" one day.

Massey is going by  tomorrow to pick up Walter's library book and return it before as he says " I owe them a hundred bucks!".

I may not be the best momma, I may not have the best kids and I may not have the best life but I know how to love. I know what love means and how special it feels to simply be loved by another.

The Beatles were just a rock band but so right when they said..."Love is all you need."

The Beatles

Lennon/McCartney
Love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love.
There's nothing you can do that can't be done.
Nothing you can sing that can't be sung.
Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game
It's easy.
There's nothing you can make that can't be made.
No one you can save that can't be saved.
Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you
in time - It's easy.

All you need is love, all you need is love,
All you need is love, love, love is all you need.
Love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love.
All you need is love, all you need is love,
All you need is love, love, love is all you need.
There's nothing you can know that isn't known.
Nothing you can see that isn't shown.
Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.
It's easy.
All you need is love, all you need is love,
All you need is love, love, love is all you need.
All you need is love (all together now)
All you need is love (everybody)
All you need is love, love, love is all you need.



No comments: