Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I'm One of the Lucky Ones

Massey and I went to visit one of the regulars from the restaurant where I work. They are in their nineties and up until about six months ago were tottering along just fine. Both still sharp and handsome. He is losing his sight and has trouble getting up or down but his wife always held his arm and even though it took them five minutes to get to their table...at least they got there!

She fell at their house a few weeks ago and was taken to the hospital. They had recently sold their house having decided it was time for assisted living. I wish  they had made the decision earlier. Now he is in assisted living and she in a rehabilitation facility. They discovered cancer in numerous places and she lost her ability to walk. She seemed upbeat (as upbeat as you  can be) and Massey and I stayed with her for an hour. Massey is distraught they aren't together and made no bones about voicing that opinion. The problem is with all the medical issues,  this woman must  remain where she is with 24 hour care. It broke my heart. The left side of her face is still black and blue from her fall and she's lost so much weight that even I weigh more than her...and that's not good.

I  told her Massey and I would come pester her a couple of times a week and she weakly smiled.

Here's the thing. If you live with your spouse until you are both in your nineties and in reasonably good health, I'd call that a "Win."

She seems frightened of not being able to walk but Massey (in her always cheerful tone) said "We can always get you one of those little scooters! I'll get you a basket for the front and even put a ribbon on it!" My dear old friend said "I'd like a yellow ribbon." Then she drifted off for a nap.

And to think I  feel sorry  for myself sometimes... That will never happen again. So  what I got knocked down? At least I can get up and walk. At least I can fight.

These people are nearing the end of their fight and have no recourse other than to accept defeat and simply wait.

On the plus side (which I reminded my old friend) they both were sound mentally and had their memories. They could still remember all the years they had together. He could still you about all the bomber missions he flew in  WWII and she could still tell  you about her own stint in the Navy.

Life is but this immediate instant and these two people have a combined life of over 183 years. That is a "Win" no matter how you look at it. If they have to go I hope is quickly, if they still have a couple of years I hope they can be reunited and live out their remaining time side by  side.

My friend has a bird feeder outside her window and Massey and I told her we would fill it so she could enjoy the view. I also told her about the debacle I caused when we decided to do the same for my Diddy's older cousin who was in rehab a couple of years ago. My sister and I decided to take Frances a bird feeder and while my sister sat in the room with her I went to find a door to go outside and hang the peanut butter covered pine cone in a tree by  her window. I opened  the wrong door and as the alarm system went off I hurried through the gate (which set off another alarm) and while all the ole folks tried to scramble down the halls on their walkers with  tennis balls on the front thinking surely the place must be on fire and trying to choose which direction to go, I placed the pine cone in  a tree by her window and decided to walk all  the way back around  to the front door like I had just arrived. So I'm a good person...just not a smart person!

I want every one who reads this to send up prayers for my two old friends. I told the dear sweet woman before we left that we would be back and to just rest, God takes care of His own.

God has always taken care of me....and I depend on that.

Til next  time...COTTON





No comments: