Sunday, October 14, 2012

Chugging On...

This is a pic of me with my oldest and dearest pup. He's my baby, has been the "Good" dog since my sweet Rosie passed. (His Aunt) The past year he has gone blind. It kills me I can't afford to help him see. My husband used to call him Andruw Jones. He could catch a  ball on the fly or jump a six foot   fence like it was a baby gate. One eye went bad, he learned to deal with it and was still okay. His other eye is almost glossed over too from cataracts but is somehow still fumbling and sniffing his way through life.

I went into work today and was surprised to see one of my absolute favorite customers. Mr. Ferrari. He and his wife are ninety two years old. (today was his birthday) His wife was absent...as both of them have been for over a month which already had me worried. They are both sharp in the mind, always dressed to the nines. Walter is losing his sight but in my opinion the world isn't such a pretty place to look at these days so maybe he is lucky in that respect. He was a bomber pilot in WWII. His wife was in the Navy.  When I first  started waiting on them over two years ago I had her bring me a picture of her when she was young. She was still so beautiful at the age of ninety that I just had to see how gorgeous she was when she was young. She brought me a pic of her sitting on the hood of a little MG convertible. It was taken in the early fifties. She looked just like a young Jackie Kennedy!

I always love waiting on this couple. They should have been one of the interviews in the movie "When Harry Met Sally."

Her husband was in today with his children, who are of course my age or even younger. Seems my beautiful Jackie Kennedy look alike has been diagnosed with cancer and it doesn't look good. She is in a nursing home and he in assisted living.

One year ago they tottered into our restaurant at least three times a week. They knew their limitations and came early to be home way before dark.

Now they are separated and it upsets me greatly.  I spoke with the daughter in law as they left today and promised I would visit Ruth tomorrow. I also promised Walter I would visit him  as well.

I told the daughter in law...You know what? They had over ninety years of health and happiness. I'd call that a "Win."

I told Walter I couldn't promise too many visits because I am so loud and boisterous I usually get kicked out after one visit. He just smiled, not even being able to see me clearly but when I hugged him, I knew what I needed to do.

Go see his wife, chat her up and try to cheer her on. Then I will go visit him and try to do the same.

If I make it to ninety it will be a miracle.

This couple IS a miracle. They lived and loved. They have lost but also experienced more of life than I ever will. They made it through the great depression, they lived into their ninties with grace and clear minds.

I am heading over to see Ruth first tomorrow. I've heard she is down and plan on holding her hand,  and reminding her how absolutely great she has made my life by just meeting her. Then I will go visit Walter.

I constantly think how tired I am and how old I am getting. I need to back up and be grateful for every day and make the most of my life.

"There but by the grace of God goes anyone of us."

I can assure you after both my visits, there will be a blog worth reading. Til next time...COTTON







No comments: