Friday, September 21, 2012

Sometimes You Gotta See The Big Picture


I went into work the other evening. We only had three servers on so I was hoping for  prosperous night.

The owners have a firm rule about cell phones...they are NOT allowed. They have a sign before you even come in the front door that says "No cell phones please." Customers still use them, the polite ones walk outside to take calls, others ignore it totally and use speaker phone where you  can hear both  sides of the conversation.

We servers had to sign a piece of paper saying we knew if  caught on a cell phone at work you could be fired.

A good friend and co worker of mine got caught  by the owner checking her cell phone. I happened to come out of the kitchen and knew immediately she had gotten busted.

The owner stopped me and asked if we were supposed to use our cell phones at work? I knew my friend was in  trouble, knew she was wrong but hated throwing her under the bus. I hesitated and said something along the lines of "Umm.."

He almost fired her and I feel grateful he didn't.

When I went to turn in my check out after my shift he called me in the office. I knew what was coming, unfortunately.

He was livid I didn't stand up for him being right and her being wrong. He WAS exactly right and I was exactly wrong.

 He told me he felt he couldn't trust me and that really hurt his feelings. He said several things that were true but also said he felt I had no respect for him. I have so much respect  for him that it isn't even funny. The man works seven days a week. He isn't rich but gives us all the opportunity to survive and thrive without having the load of the tremendous over head of running a business.

The man can simply scare  the poop out of you when he's angry and I thought with my emotions instead of my head and  took the coward's way out trying to save face for a friend.

After stewing about it for a day I realized he WAS exactly right and I was EXACTLY wrong.

He told me (glaringly) the rules and demands he has aren't so he can line his pockets with money or get rich but simply trying  to make ends meet.

 He asked  who paid my mortgage...was it my friend I took up for or him? He replied before I could answer...  it was neither, it was the customer  and that is who he is most concerned about. He added that if I didn't take the side of the store over another employee who was obviously in the wrong then I could not be trusted.

He was exactly and one hundred percent right.

They hired me when I was at an all time low. Our house was being foreclosed on, we were on food stamps, unemployment insurance and my younger kids were both on medicaid. They have loaned me money for bills time and time again , money for dog food when the pups had nothing to eat but each other and even money to take on our first vacation in over five years. They gave my daughter a part time job for Christmas and gave my son a job when he needed one  to be eligible for  a work release program when he got arrested and sentenced.

These people saved me and what did I do in return? I backed up someone who I knew was wrong because they were my friend and I didn't want them to get fired.

I thought about how much I believe in "Pay it Forward." They have always paid it forward to me  because I am a hard worker and they believe in me ... yet I failed in paying it forward with loyalty and respect.

Yes they can be crazy and often times are... but if I worked the hours they do and have for the years they have, I'd be sitting in a rubber room bashing my head into the wall.

In hindsight, I am lucky he didn't fire me. I have apologized to both of them and feel grateful they seem to have slightly accepted my misguided and misplaced knee jerk reaction which was totally  wrong especially considering I am a fifty two year old woman, wife and mother who happens to help support her family by  them keeping the doors to their restaurant open and allow me to work all the hours I want as long I do my job well.

I failed to do my job well the other night. I failed to support what has supported my family for over two years.

I'm not perfect...no one is,  but  have realized my mistake and won't make it again. If you don't like working there and don't like the rules, then don't work there.

I like working there. Some days are tough and the owners can be too,  but nobody is forcing us to work for them.

Apologies to my friend, I love you but you were wrong and I was even more wrong.

Lucky to still have a job and lucky that I have remembered "Pay it Forward."

Til next  time...COTTON




 
 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I feel that the manager shouldn't have asked you that question in the first place. Yes you gave the wrong answer and should have backed up your boss but he shouldn't have put you in a position to choose. I feel managers should be somewhat impartial and should understand the connections of their employees. He should have handled the problem completely himself rather than relying on your support thereby putting you on the spot. In a way it was, knowing the consequences, asking you if he should fire your friend when that should be his job and his decision. I do think that he has a right to expect loyalty and back up from you however I don't think that he should have chewed you out and made you feel guilty because he put you in an awkward position. I feel he should have talked to you calmly about the matter rather than intimidating you. Owning and running your own business can be very stressful and since it is your own there are a lot of emotions tied up in it. I feel you both made a bad decision fueled by feelings and that he should apologize too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.