Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Rain is Not a Server's Friend

All you have to do in Georgia is mention inclement weather and everyone heads for a bomb shelter. The idiots on TV predict it and whether it happens or not, well that's a fifty / fifty chance.  I am alive today...will I be a live tomorrow? I may or I may not. Am I sick? I may be sick or I may not be sick.

My point is the odds are too close to plan your life around or hide from. Yes if there is a tornado on the ground half a mile from my house I probably wouldn't go outside and cut the grass or throw steaks on the grill. If it was a blizzard outside I probably wouldn't load up Massey and decide to drive to Atlanta for an afternoon in Little Five Points.

Actually I guess my point is, "Use common sense!" Do people use it? Some do and more do not.

All  they had to do was mention  there was a CHANCE of us having 4 inches of rain and the people scrambled into weather combat mode. I did get a table right off the bat, but she's a regular and originally from the west coast. I guess four inches of predicted rain compared to living in on a fault line leads you  to tend to just carry on and let the quake fall where it may...or may not.

We didn't get another table for another hour. Not conducive for a server, especially a broke one... much less the owner of a restaurant. I always try to look at it this way. If I make a hundred bucks in four hours, great for me! If I only make twenty five bucks, it's twenty five more than I walked in the door with. Now that I have cut back on my hours I have also cut back on my odds which mean I simply have to step up my game and make every single customer as happy as a clam and then some!

I'm gonna keep on keeping on. I'm gonna be grateful every day I wake up. There's always a fifty fifty chance I won't. I'll go into work each day, give it a hundred percent and hope to profit at least fifty percent of the time. We're getting so close I can smell it. I can't touch it but I can smell it.

We had to meet with our bankruptcy attorney today...not good news. The IRS is after Tim for $28,000 from the failed company he got involved with. Our attorney told us to consult a CPA, get them involved to contact the IRS about dispersing the blame and liability. I don't see why when four guys start a company together and it fails one guy should take all the blame. The attorney seemed to  agree with me. Tim is just worn out with worry, emotionally,  mentally and tired of the harassment. Being married to me doesn't help.

The attorney  told us about a CPA he trusted and  advised us to contact them. Once we get this IRS debacle settled we will have to re file for bankruptcy and be in it for five more years. You can be in bankruptcy or not be in bankruptcy..there's a fifty fifty chance!

All you blog readers will be happy to hear that I have changed banks. I am now with the "Commerce Bank" of Beverly Hills....aka I borrow money from my boss's wife. She can be a a bee-otch but she has a heart of gold and has helped me out too many times to count. Our email is The Clampetts and aptly so. I have started to call my boss's wife Margaret Drysdale. After the meeting with out attorney, who's name is Cotten...They called us back , "Mr. and Mrs. Cotton, Mr. Cotten is ready to see you both."

I felt better after the meeting and am ready to spend forty bucks to see the CPA and make some one else share the blame.

Tim left for work and I headed home. I passed the owner of the restaurant driving his wife's car home for a break and knew immediately that "Margaret" was manning the fort. I screeched into the turning lane and went to  the restaurant. Ole Margaret  was perched on a bar stool and I asked for yet another loan. I always pay her back and even in a timely manner. She gave me the money to cover all checks that haven't cleared and I was once again the proud owner of four dollars.

When I got home Massey told me when she went to get her parking pass for school now that she has a car, the woman who took her check asked her if it was a "Valid Check?" Massey said yes and the woman again asked "Are you sure?"

That kinda ticked me off...number one because I know this woman, she used to work with me at  the elementary school I worked for eight years ago.  Number two...don't talk to my daughter like we are dead beats. Yes I am a creative banker but it has nothing to do with my daughter and the comment royally irritated me.

Mrs. Drysdale had just loaned me the money to cover everything and it was deposited before the cut off. If you  think my check's bad, call me don't question my seventeen year old daughter.

I may be fifty two and may be broke but I am a good person and I work like a demon. I have survived things this woman couldn't even dream of.

If you have a beef with me or my check, take it up with me but leave my kids alone or I will kick your #ss.

Do not humiliate my daughter, she has been through enough.

Will we survive all this mess?  Either we will or we won't. Is it anybody else's business? That's a big fat NO unless you love us or want to help.

I've been with Tim since 1988. We started poor, worked our way up to over six figures and after over twenty years fell flat on our faces. We picked ourselves up, cried a bit and prayed continuously.

Pick on me...don't pick on my kids, they didn't choose us for parents.

A year ago I would have been mortified, today I am just ticked. Yes I make light of my situation, can you blame me? You can look at the glass as half full or half empty. I look at it as we have come so far that I am ticked instead of mortified and the glass may not be full but it certainly isn't empty.

Tomorrow is another day. Tomorrow is another chance.

You have to wake up every day and realize you are just lucky to wake up. If you do, you are already beating the odds.

Doing it again tomorrow and the next  day. Grateful for every day God gives me.

Til  next time...COTTON









No comments: