Sunday, September 2, 2012

I Love Me Some Freaks

 Dragon*Con 2012
 
It was a sea of people. It reminded me of when I took all three of my kids to Centennial Park during the Olympic Games in Atlanta in 1996. If the kids got more than two feet  away  from me they were lost.

Today it was just Massey and me. It's the first time she wanted to hold hands with me since she was six. The crowds lined every street. We finally found a spot where some geeks let her stand up on a small ledge with them to shoot some pictures. I stood right in front of her and let her lean on me. There were literally thousands and thousands of people there. What a great day!

My husband would have hated it but I thrive on it. To be in the midst of a crazy place where everyone is on common ground. Old folks, poor folks, fat ones skinny ones, ones in wheel chairs, small kids, geeks, people who reek of money and people who reek of sweat. We were all  there for the same reason, may have different beliefs but all had a good time.

It's called "Coexistence."

Sometimes I wonder if I am corrupting my daughter or showing her the way? Atlanta was a hot bed today. Football games at the Dome,  The Braves playing at The Ted and thousands of  geeks, freaks and even normal peeps just wanting to be a part of Dragon*Con.

I don't do much  for myself,  but going to things like this make my day and keep me going. Atlanta has it's problems...what large city doesn't? It is also a beautiful city. It is eclectic and electrifying. It is a world you shouldn't miss experiencing at least once a month.

After the parade we put the top down on my lil beemer and TRIED to pull out of the parking garage. The streets were packed. Two guys waiting to walk in front of my car asked if they could just step into my back seat and step out of the other side? We told them to go for it but then I got a chance to pull out.

You know what makes me feel even better is that after driving Massey to Atlanta into this new experience amidst most probably ten thousand other people, we encountered only one jerk.

There's one in every crowd.

We tooled through downtown and pulled into The Varsity...our favorite restaurant where all you have to do is put your car in park and chowed down on Chili Steaks, onion rings and fries...all delivered by a car hop who has been working at the Varsity for 38 years. (Shout out to Nelson)

Atlanta is a great place to visit and we do it at least once a month. We spent the day with freaks and geeks, the homeless and the well off....and survived!

You can't spend your life being scared...you need to spend your life experiencing and taking in every adventure you  can. You need to meet people you otherwise would never meet and see things you don't see every day.

Life: "The physical , mental and spiritual experiences that constitute existence."

I'm teaching my kids about the real world.

Til next  time..COTTON



No comments: