Thursday, August 30, 2012

Once in a Blue Moon

I'm no meteorologist but AM a firm believer in the powers of a full moon. It brings out the crazy in people. Sometimes it's good crazy and sometimes it's bad.

Today it was mostly the bad. My lunch shift at work was like watching paint dry. The dinner shift wasn't much better. It was almost eerie. We were so busy yesterday at lunch and dinner, then tonight it was like all of our customers had fallen off the planet. I got off from my lunch shift and went across the street to throw some money at the Verizon giants and went to put some gas in my little car.

First positive experience of the day. I buy gas at Kroger where I use my discount points but often times it is like a freaking combat zone. People are always impatient or backing out to move to another pump that opens up only to be confronted by  another car that saw the open pump first and  screeched around the lot quicker. I usually try to wait behind a car that is already pumping gas, knowing they have already paid. I did just that today when an older gentleman in a land yacht pulled in next  to me. He rolled his window down and asked if I was waiting to go in front of him? (It all comes down to what side of your car  the gas cap is on.) I told him he was good, I was waiting for the pump next  to him. I love me some ole peeps! He smiled, inched his huge car up  to the pump and said "Thanks!"

He was on one side of the pump and I was on the other. I got out to pump my gas the same time as him. A car alarm started blaring  and he said loudly "Whoops, that's me! Hit the wrong button again."

He was so pleasant it almost made me forget I was paying four bucks a gallon for gas.

Then I picked up  Massey  from school and came home to assume the position for thirty minutes in the bed. Just when my body started to go numb and my mind went blank, Massey popped into the room and said "You need to leave for work."

I went back to work and it was desolute. We waited and waited for  the masses but they never came. But just like that, Karma happened. I had a party of three who asked for me and gave me a thirty percent tip. Forget that table that left me nothing on a thirty five dollar  tab. I got home at a reasonable hour and had forty more bucks than I had when I walked in.

It's Labor Day weekend and it couldn't happen at a worse time for me. Like the soldier I am, I thought, "Okay, go to Kroger and buy some milk. Write a check for $25 over and go in the morning and deposit the twenty five in cash. Make it up over the long holiday weekend and it will all work out."

Crossing my fingers and toes and going into work tomorrow hoping to bank big.

It could happen...it may happen, it BETTER happen!

Til next time...COTTON

It's a good thing I never desired to be a bank teller

No comments: