Sunday, August 5, 2012

Last First Day of High School

My youngest begins her senior year of high school tomorrow. In  true Cotton fashion I waited til today to buy the dreaded school supplies.

When I was a kid your momma never had to buy school supplies...they gave you every thing you needed when  you  got there. Notebooks, pencils, crayons, markers, rulers and compasses. Sometimes they even gave you a  minature coke bottle on a tiny chain. (I grew up right outside of Atlanta...Coke Country)

 I always loved the notebooks, wish  they still made them. Blue Horse three ring binders covered in denim. I searched for over an hour on the Internet for a picture of one but found a pic of  the filler paper instead and it brought back a flood of memories.

I took Massey to Wal Mart and we picked up some notebook paper, composition books, pencils and a three ring binder. She needed a new back pack but we couldn't find them. I spotted a man stocking shelves and asked where the back packs were? He rubbed his face and solemnly said "I'm embarrassed to say they forgot to order them. That's all we have, and he motioned to a wall behind us with about ten Dora the Explorer and Batman vinyl back packs.

Can you say "I bet someone got fired from the purchasing department of the Wal Mart in Newnan this week?"

He said we could try sporting goods and see if they had some. We went to sporting goods...and that's just what they were, sporting goods. Back packs for $49 and up. We opted to skip the back pack purchase.

She got what she needs for her first day; They'll send home a mile long list tomorrow of what else they want me to buy.

At least she is a senior, although having had two others graduate before her I know exactly what to expect. It's already started.  Last week I had to drop off ten bucks for her 'Senior 2013' tee shirt for her to wear on  her first day. They want seventy five bucks for her to walk at graduation...heck they should pay ME for sitting in the football stands sweating to death to just watch her walk across a football field. At least WE graduated at  the Municipal Auditorium in downtown Atlanta. It was pretty impressive, unless your class graduated the day after the circus left town. If your class did,  you  could still smell  the horse and elephant poop but at least it was still an auditorium in downtown Atlanta and  you  were actually on a real stage!

I know Massey is excited. My boys weren't so much, but they both were sick of school.  Massey is a social butterfly and wears her Indian Pride (the mascot) proudly. She may not be a cheerleader or be the Homecoming queen. She may not be the most popular girl in school but is one of the truest most sincere sixteen year old girls I have ever met.

 She can wear me out but that's what mommas are for!

 She can just as easily make me smile when I feel like crap and even know when I need to hear her say "I love you, Momma."

My last child is growing up. Three kids have survived having me as a momma. Kudos to me!!!

til next  time...COTTON









No comments: